Help with naval uniform please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with naval uniform please

Hi can anyone identify the naval uniform worn by my grandfather in this picture please? I don't know whether he was Royal Navy or Merchant navy. This may have been taken just before or around WW1 I think
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    OLD SALIAN

Researching:
    Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
    Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
    Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
    Oakes - Liverpool
    Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

Hi there, I THINK, that this an edwardian merchant navy uniform, it differs from what I have seen of the royal navy to make me doubt he is a royal navy officer or rating. The style of his uniform looks pre 1920 with its high collar and tie, but it is very formal, I shall keep looking....

Comment

ps, it may of course be the uniform of a civilian line, I don't think it's White Star who owned the Titanic.

Comment

Do you think you could manage to get a good picture of his badge please?

Comment

Thanks - I think he may have been in the merchant navy rather than the RN but I don't know for sure. I don't know how to upload a hi res image of the badge, but have cropped and hope you can see!
          Attached Files
          OLD SALIAN

Researching:
          Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
          Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
          Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
          Oakes - Liverpool
          Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

Comment

That looks so like a royal navy badge, but his uniform just doesn't look right, keep looking Barbara........

Comment

Working...
            X