Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women Suffragettes

Hi Folks,

I have recently found out that my maternal grandmother was an active Suffragette, and I was wondering if perhaps there is a website or some archive material that would list all of the women members? Methinks perhaps ladies preferred to keep things pretty 'hush hush' back in those days? I was only told about this revelation by my 86 year old mother recently, and I would love to research the movement more thoroughly.

Many thanks,

Chris

There's lots of assorted material online - have you googled already?

I thought this looked interesting:
    UK Parliament - Archives - The Suffragettes

I haven't spotted any membership lists, but have scarcely scratched the surface of what's available. I think there's some material on Docs Online, too.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I came across this list recently:

The National Archives | Access to Archives

Comment

Oh what a wonderful thing to find out about a member of the family.

I would be so proud if it were one of mine.

Good luck in your research.

Comment

Thanks everybody for your input! Nope, I haven't even begun to research this revelation as yet, but can't wait to get my teeth stuck into this!

Remembering my Grandmother as I do (who was born in 1888), she was a lovely little lady, very strong in her views but didn't suffer fools gladly! We always joked that she had 'got ideas above her station', always immaculately dressed with brooch and neatly 'brilliantined' hair. When I found out that she had been in service at Kedleston House (Viceroy of India Curzon family) she was obviously in awe of the landed gentry although her family were of humble origins! Oh, how I wish I had the foresight to chat more to her about her life whilst she was still with us (she died in 1980 at 92 years of age). I guess we all wish we had found out more about our rellies lives.........

I shall certainly check out the sites that you ladies gave me, and will report back any interesting findings. Many thanks again!

Chris

Comment

The best reference book on the Suffragettes is "The Women's Suffrage Movement: A Reference Guide, 1866-1928" by Elizabeth Crawford. Most University Libraries (and many public libraries too I imagine) would have a copy. It lists active Suffragettes and gives some biographical details and information about their involvement with the movement.

You could also try contacting the Women's Library in London, which has extensive collections based on materials about and by Suffragettes. Their website is Welcome to The Women's Library

Best of luck with your research - it sounds fascinating!

Comment

Ooh how exciting, did you know there was a lot of suffragette memorabilia? It might be worth checking your mum hasn't got anything tucked away.

Comment

Was she a suffragette or a suffragist? They had pretty much the same aims, but used different tactics, the former believing in 'Deeds not Words'.

Comment

any ideas to for australian suffragettes? my grandma swears blind her paternal grandmother was a suffragette, but i havn't been able to find out much.
                  i have been watching this thread with interest.

Comment

No, sadly my Mum hasn't got anything tucked away, Barbara (more's the pity!) I only learned about my Grandmother being a suffragette a couple of weeks ago which I knew nothing about until Mum mentioned it in passing! Unfortunately Mum's memory is very bad these days, but occasionally something jogs her memory and out pops another little pearl of wisdom. Neither she nor I have any idea how active my Grandmother was within the movement, but I am certainly going to try and delve a little further. I promise I shall keep all interested parties on this thread informed of any developments.

Poppybat - that website looks more than interesting, so I am about to go and check it out. Many thanks indeed to all...........

Chris

Comment

Wikipedia has some photographs of women from all over the world who were in the WSPU

Comment

Originally posted by quoy View Post
                        Wikipedia has some photographs of women from all over the world who were in the WSPU
                        Many thanks for that, Quoy - I shall check it out.

Chris

Comment

How exciting - I would be thrilled to find one of my ancestors was a suffragette.

I wonder whether it would be a good idea to look for court records, since so many suffragettes were arrested?

Ros

Comment

Working...
                          X