How much information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much information?

I am putting together a list of things I want to know about my ancestors, so that I have basic comparable information on each.
    eg
    Robert C Penny 1879-1915
    Birth Cert
    Marriage Cert
    Death Cert
    Place of Burial
    Census 1911
    Census 1901
    Census 1891
    Census 1881

Pre the Census 1841 and Registration 1837.
    Other than Birth, Marriage and Death using RO, what other information could I locate?

Regards

Stu

You could try looking for wills, directory listings and newspaper clippings.
    Sarah

Comment

There are parish records for the Births, Marriages and Deaths that is useful for pre-1837 and also after that point as not all births were compulsory to be registered officially for many years later.

I have accessed the parish records for Baptisms,Marriages & Burials at the local County History Centre for free and viewed them on microfiche via a fiche viewer and also looked at the Bishop's Transcripts hardbound copy.

Parish records are interesting as you can get a helpful vicar who puts the date of birth in the left hand margin or even comments such as 'dangerously ill' by a couple of entries that I saw, which gave me an indication the child was not expected to survive.

Some parish records are now online with Ancestry and the London Metropolitan Archives Parish Records have just been added to Ancestry, but I can't access them on my type of membership.

Another interesting source that I found at the County Records Office was the Workhouse Admissions & Discharge Books, but not everyone was in the workhouse.

Comment

Thats all good.............I will add them to my list

Thank you

Comment

If you have any Family Tree software programme to help you build your tree, such as Family Tree Maker, there are fields within each individual's record that will suggest useful categories of information to try and find.

Ancestry also has phone books available so I've been able to get addresses and phone numbers for some relatives.

Comment

Stu

Did you have a look at the 'Somerset Coalfield Connection' site yet?
            www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
            http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

Yes I did but there was nothing that really matched!

I have taken my research back to 1780 West Camel Somerset. The family appeared to be in this area until my Gt Grandfather moved to Devon in 1902.

So I am still looking closly at the Somerset/Dorset border for new leads!

Stu

Comment

Removal Orders

Settlement Orders and Examinations

and in MY case, lol, Bastardy Orders.

Don't forget a good old google, especially google books - you'll be amazed what pops up.

Don't forget the familysearch library (LDS/IGI) - search by location and see what books/films they have - again it can be astonishing what they have. Even if they are "closed" records it gives you a title to search for in your library.

OC

Comment

The local record office may have school admission books, sometimes notes have been added about the pupils.
                  Family memories/stories.
                  Kathleen

Comment

Addresses of where they've lived especially if they've moved around a lot ie

birth
                    marriage
                    death

children's birth's

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Got to post again I've just seen how many posts I've made

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

- National Archives (pre-1858 wills, land transactions, and lots more):

Quick search

- Death duty index (FMP)

- The Gazette (for military appointments, bankruptcies etc.)

London Gazette Home Page

- Directories:

Historical Directories

- Non-conformist records, if you have any non-conformists:

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

- Apprenticeship and poor law records (Records Office).

- Newspapers (local library; and your own library may subscribe to the Gale newspaper database which you can access from your home computer).

- Also check the website of the Records Office for the places you're interested in to see if they have an online catalogue. They can be a goldmine of information.

Comment

This is all good stuff!...............I am making notes. lol..

Stu

Comment

You might find some useful links by looking at this pair of sites:

UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths Indexes & Census Transcriptions On-line for UK Family History and Genealogy
                            UKGDL - Genealogical Directories and Lists On-line for UK Family History and Genealogy.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you have unusual names and they are in One Name Societies then it is always worth bearing these in mind if you get stuck on a brick wall. I have just contacted GOONS on a brick wall of mine for a few years and I have had the most helpful reply that has not only unblocked the wall, but sent it back many generations.

Don't forget to join Family History Societies for the areas of your interest and joining a local one to you allows you to go to talks and seek advice from experts who can help you.

Janet
                              Last edited by Janet; 10-04-09, 22:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X