Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Sambells and Mary Harding (Cornwall)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Sambells and Mary Harding (Cornwall)

I'm wondering if anybody out there can help me?

I'm looking for a marriage of a Joseph Sambells and Mary Harding.

I know that they were living in Morval in 1841 with Mary's mother.

I've tried the usual suspects Cornwall OPC, FreeBMD and the IGI Index but to no avail.

David

David, if you cant find any marriage record, how can you be sure they were married.
    If they had children, perhaps a birth certificate will reveal all ?

As an outside chance, there is a marriage in Dec Qtr 1840, Stoke Damerel 9/511...........The names include a Mary Harding and a Joseph SANALS which could be a bad transcription.
    Last edited by AlanC; 10-04-09, 14:21.

Comment

Mary Sambells

In 1871 she is a Widow, living in Liskeard born Morval see :
      Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2239; Folio: 12; Page: 15; GSU roll: 834874.

Comment

Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

Re the wedding, I don't think it's her, from the records I have Mary was born, married and died in the Morval area.

It's a problem I'm constantly coming accross in my search for the Sambles family, in that there appears to be two clusters of them, one in the Stoke Damerel area in Devon and the group that I'm interested in just north of Fowey and south of Liskeard.

The Census return however, looks like the right one. I have a record of her possible death of 1892 in Liskeard and Census returns under various spellings of "Sambles" until 1891 living with her son Thomas (my GG Grandfather).

It's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to view the Parish Records when I'm on holiday in Cornwall later this year.

David

Comment

David

Morval is only three miles from Liskeard and the chances of TWO men called Joseph Sambells, both marrying a Mary Harding who came from Morval are remote enough to make that marriage a very likely one.

Incidentally, Cornwall has one of the best Online parish clerk sites. Try emailing the OPC for Liskeard and see what they can come up with, rather than waiting for a visit to Cornwall.

OC

Comment

OC,

Thanks for your reply.

I've used the Cornwall OPC quite a lot in various searches and found it a very useful tool although, I can't find anything on there relating to Joseph and Mary.

From the Free BMD site, I also can only find the Joseph and Mary for Stoke Damerel in Devon. I've also tried the IGI Index website which gives me much the same information.

I like your suggestion of e-mailing to OPC Project to see if they can shed any further light on the subject though, thanks.

David

;)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGreenall110 View Post
              I'm looking for a marriage of a Joseph Sambells and Mary Harding.
              Have you confirmed that Mary's maiden name is Harding via one of the children's birth certificates?
              Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine,

No not yet, I got the Harding link from a couple of other people who are also looking into this line. They don't know when the marriage took place either but we all have the same numbers and names of the children plus the same husband.

David

Comment

Was just worried that you were just taking it from the 1841 census, where you say they were living with her mother Mary Harding.
                  Elaine

Comment

I've learn't through bitter experience not to rely on that!

:o

Comment

Would the childrens baptisms from that time give the mothers maiden name?If as you say she was born,lived and died in Morval,you'll be looking for a Mary who maried a Joseph Sambles in Morval,right?
                      Were there children in 1841,1851?
                      "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

Have you found "the other" Joseph Samballs married to Mary Harding? If you have then you can dismiss the marriage found in Stoke Damerel, if you haven't then you can't!

OC

Comment

I was in town yesterday so i popped in the cornwall local studies centre on the way home.It was a quick visit as i had my shopping and my four year old with me,however i may have found a burial for Mary Ann i believe,you said she was born,lived and died in Morval.I believe it was Dec 24 1878.
                          Joseph on the other hand i couldn't find,and if Mary Ann was married to your Joseph she was buried alone it looks like.
                          I did find a marriage in the 1790's for a Joseph and Mary Turner but i dismissed it as too early.
                          I'm afraid that's all i managed,if i get in there again with a lot more time on my hand's i'll check out kellys directorys and see if i can pull up anything relating to Liskeard and/or Morval.
                          The man behind the desk did say Morval was a seperate parish though.
                          I don't have ancestry,etc at the moment so i can't check all the census,if some one could tell me their ages and the children of Joseph or Mary i might be able to put this to some use too.
                          Alan.
                          PS.
                          Towwell,1,Mary Harding,,64,Labourer,In county,
                          ,,George Harding,24,,Carpenter,In county,
                          ,,Joseph Sambells,21,,Ag Lab,In county,
                          ,,Mary Sambells,,22,,In county,
                          ,,Jane Ann Sambells,,1m,,In county,
                          I take it these are them.
                          Last edited by alanjohn; 12-04-09, 18:50.
                          "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

Some OPC's transcriptions are on line, some are not. Try sending an email to the OPC for Morval -

Parish of Morval

Also, all Cornish census are free online.
                            Joy

Comment

In 1851 there are several Hardings.

Cornwall Online Census Project, transcript of Piece HO107/1903(2)
                              Joy

Comment

Alan, Joy

Thanks for your replies,

Alan - That's the very same family in question based in Morval, hence why I think the marriage was there. Not long after the family moved to a place called Plashford near Duloe where they lived until the early 1900's. As for the burial date, things have moved on a little bit since the original post, I have one for 1892 in Plashford, considering there are only 4 houses there, I am assuming rightly or wrongly that that's her as husband Thomas died there and her youngest son Thomas was born there?

I'm down in Cornwall later this year visiting family, where abouts is the Cornwall Local Studies Centre? I may well pay a visit while I'm down.

Joy,

I've sent an e-mail to both the Morval and Duloe Parish Clerks to see if they can give me any further information or point me in the right direction.

David

Comment

Alan, Joy,

A quick update for you.

I've just had a holiday in Cornwall and spent some time in the County Archives while the Mrs went shopping! Also went to Morval church and met the Warden who gave me a tour and pointed out where most of the family were burried.

I went through all the Parish records within a 50 mile radius of Morval and found no mention of Joseph and Marys marriage, I found all the Baptism records for them and their children and their death certificates.

I've ordered the Stoke Damerel certificate for 1840. The reason for the SD wedding could be that she could have been upto 4 months pregnant as their first child Jane Ann was baptised 23 May 1841.

I'll let you know how it goes.

David

Comment

Thank you for the update. Am so pleased that you have been there and done some searching.

I look forward to the next update.
                                    Joy

Comment

Working...
                                    X