Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro

Hello everyone, my name is Brian and I am brand new to this site and fairly new to the internet. My main area of interest is the Mingaud Family who originated in France early 1700s - came to Dublin - then to London and finally to Liverpool. They were Hugenots and they married into the Bethell family around 1900.
    That's it basically
    Brian

Welcome to the site Brian , dont be afraid to post you will find us all very friendly and helpful ;;;hope you enjoy exploring all the site has to offer ;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hello and Welcome to FTF Brian,

Lots of friendly, helpful people here to help out....just post away
      Jacky

Comment

welcome brian you have come to the right place for help brenda xxx

Comment

hope you have lots of fun both on here and doing your tree.
          Angelina

Comment

Welcome to the site Brian. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there's some clever folk on here.
            Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Welcome Brian, hope you enjoy it here and get lots of questions answered...

Comment

Well, what a welcome all from ladies I see...Babs, Tilly Mint, Stella, Angelina and Brenda.
                All beautiful ladies no doubt...must be my magnetism! LoL
                Brian

Comment

Hallo Brian, were your Bethells from Covent Garden?
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry Little Nell, we are from Liverpool and from way back, Wales.
                    Brian

Comment

shame!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

hiya Brian....welcome to the site,a great friendly HELPFUL bunch here...could be interesting this....my grandads sister married a Bethell here in Garston Liverpool....and I am in touch with a couple of Bethells...although strictly my dads cousins , I refer to them as my cousins....any Bethells from Garston in your family tree ??....allan
                        Last edited by garstonite; 11-04-09, 08:39.
                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

OK Brian....
                          go to FreeBMD Home Page
                          there are 21 births for the Mingaud family in Liverpool...(go to births and type in Mingaud).the first one being 1853 ( in Liverpool and Toxteth Park register offices)
                          if you go to births and type in Bethell and (Mothers maiden name) Mingaud ,you wil find TWO births of people who may possibly be alive so I won`t post their names...
                          also 8 marriages for Mingaud...I`ll try and find the marriage of Bethell and Mingaud ....allan;)
                          ADDED...Can`t find the marriage of Bethell/Mingaud on freebmd or Lancashirebmd....HELP NEEDED HERE !!anyone any ideas??...allan
                          Last edited by garstonite; 11-04-09, 09:51.
                          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Just done a quick look through the marriage index from 1916-1921 but cannot see a suitable marriage.
                            Elaine

Comment

thanks very much Elaine....regards...allan

Comment

Alan...
                                It is more than possible that Bethells lived in Garston as they tended to gather around the Toxteth area for decades...in fact, as far as I know one or two of them still live there. I was born there as was my mother. Your second post is a bit double dutch to me at present...still getting my head round the jargon etc.
                                I am pretty sure that my paternal grandmother Magaret Bethell nee Mingaud married my paternal granddad George Bethell (he was a steamship fireman) in 1909
                                Magaret's dad was Ernest (error here he wasn't Ernest he was Alfred) Mingaud and was a grandmaster of the Mill St Lodge in Toxteth...that's about the extent of my knowledge...apart from the fact that Mingauds hailed from France via Dublin via London.
                                Brian
                                Last edited by brianbethell; 11-04-09, 17:59.

Comment

This looks like the index entry for the marriage:

Marriages Jun 1907

BETTEL George Liverpool 8b 29 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                  BURNS John Liverpool 8b 29
                                  GRAY Agnes Liverpool 8b 29
                                  MINGARD Margaret Ellen Liverpool 8b 29 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The 1911 census shows a Margaret Ellen Bethell aged 26 in Toxteth Park district with children George Albert aged 5, Ada Elizabeth aged 2 and Sarah Ann aged 2mths. George senr isn't there, but maybe he was at sea?

Comment

Hmmm....in 1901 Margaret's father is recorded as Albert not Ernest???? Same in 1891.......

Comment

Monty wrote - The 1911 census shows a Margaret Ellen Bethell aged 26 in Toxteth Park district with children George Albert aged 5, Ada Elizabeth aged 2 and Sarah Ann aged 2mths. George senr isn't there, but maybe he was at sea?

Monty...
                                      Thanks for that. I am informed that Magaret died in 1926 aged 42yrs in childbirth which means if she was 26 in 1911 then in 1926 she would have been 42yrs old, that bit fits...She also had a daughter called Ada, my great aunt. I am fairly certain that her dad (my great grandad) was called Alfred...I made a mistake calling him Ernest?
                                      George, Magaret's husband was a steamship fireman so he could have been away at the time of the census.
                                      Brian

Comment

If you think that's the right marriage I posted in 1907 you could get the marriage cert which would confirm her father's name. I made an error before, he is Albert in 1901 but Alfred in 1891. His wife is Annie E, so this looks like their marriage:

Marriages Mar 1884
                                        CULLATON Kate Liverpool 8b 198
                                        Hughes Annie Eliza Liverpool 8b 198 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                        Mingaud Alfred Liverpool 8b 198 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                                        RIMMINGTON Albert Liverpool 8b 198

This is Margaret's birth record:

Births Mar 1885
                                        Mingaud Margaret Ellen Toxteth Park 8b 226

Of course you should get the certs one at a time going back, starting with the 1907 marriage, in case something unexpected happens! lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X