PDA

View Full Version : Intro

brianbethell
09-04-09, 23:59
Hello everyone, my name is Brian and I am brand new to this site and fairly new to the internet. My main area of interest is the Mingaud Family who originated in France early 1700s - came to Dublin - then to London and finally to Liverpool. They were Hugenots and they married into the Bethell family around 1900.
That's it basically
Brian

borobabs
10-04-09, 00:20
Welcome to the site Brian , dont be afraid to post you will find us all very friendly and helpful ;;;hope you enjoy exploring all the site has to offer ;;

Tilly Mint
10-04-09, 09:16
Hello and Welcome to FTF Brian,

Lots of friendly, helpful people here to help out....just post away:)

brenmac
10-04-09, 12:35
welcome brian you have come to the right place for help brenda xxx

angelina
10-04-09, 13:06
hope you have lots of fun both on here and doing your tree.

Stella
10-04-09, 13:14
Welcome to the site Brian. Don't hesitate to ask questions, there's some clever folk on here.:)

Just Barbara
10-04-09, 15:34
Welcome Brian, hope you enjoy it here and get lots of questions answered...:)

brianbethell
10-04-09, 16:56
Well, what a welcome all from ladies I see...Babs, Tilly Mint, Stella, Angelina and Brenda.
All beautiful ladies no doubt...must be my magnetism! LoL
Brian

Little Nell
10-04-09, 17:52
Hallo Brian, were your Bethells from Covent Garden?

brianbethell
11-04-09, 00:11
Sorry Little Nell, we are from Liverpool and from way back, Wales.
Brian

Little Nell
11-04-09, 00:22
shame!

garstonite
11-04-09, 08:26
hiya Brian....welcome to the site,a great friendly HELPFUL bunch here...could be interesting this....my grandads sister married a Bethell here in Garston Liverpool....and I am in touch with a couple of Bethells...although strictly my dads cousins , I refer to them as my cousins....any Bethells from Garston in your family tree ??....allan:)

garstonite
11-04-09, 09:06
OK Brian....
go to FreeBMD Home Page (http://www.freebmd.org.uk)
there are 21 births for the Mingaud family in Liverpool...(go to births and type in Mingaud).the first one being 1853 ( in Liverpool and Toxteth Park register offices)
if you go to births and type in Bethell and (Mothers maiden name) Mingaud ,you wil find TWO births of people who may possibly be alive so I won`t post their names...
also 8 marriages for Mingaud...I`ll try and find the marriage of Bethell and Mingaud ....allan;)
ADDED...Can`t find the marriage of Bethell/Mingaud on freebmd or Lancashirebmd....HELP NEEDED HERE !!anyone any ideas??...allan

Elaine ..Spain
11-04-09, 10:46
Just done a quick look through the marriage index from 1916-1921 but cannot see a suitable marriage.

garstonite
11-04-09, 10:50
thanks very much Elaine....regards...allan

brianbethell
11-04-09, 15:47
Alan...
It is more than possible that Bethells lived in Garston as they tended to gather around the Toxteth area for decades...in fact, as far as I know one or two of them still live there. I was born there as was my mother. Your second post is a bit double dutch to me at present...still getting my head round the jargon etc.
I am pretty sure that my paternal grandmother Magaret Bethell nee Mingaud married my paternal granddad George Bethell (he was a steamship fireman) in 1909
Magaret's dad was Ernest (error here he wasn't Ernest he was Alfred) Mingaud and was a grandmaster of the Mill St Lodge in Toxteth...that's about the extent of my knowledge...apart from the fact that Mingauds hailed from France via Dublin via London.
Brian

Merry Monty Montgomery
11-04-09, 17:48
This looks like the index entry for the marriage:

Marriages Jun 1907

BETTEL George Liverpool 8b 29 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
BURNS John Liverpool 8b 29
GRAY Agnes Liverpool 8b 29
MINGARD Margaret Ellen Liverpool 8b 29 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The 1911 census shows a Margaret Ellen Bethell aged 26 in Toxteth Park district with children George Albert aged 5, Ada Elizabeth aged 2 and Sarah Ann aged 2mths. George senr isn't there, but maybe he was at sea?

Merry Monty Montgomery
11-04-09, 17:51
Hmmm....in 1901 Margaret's father is recorded as Albert not Ernest???? Same in 1891.......

brianbethell
11-04-09, 18:09
Monty wrote - The 1911 census shows a Margaret Ellen Bethell aged 26 in Toxteth Park district with children George Albert aged 5, Ada Elizabeth aged 2 and Sarah Ann aged 2mths. George senr isn't there, but maybe he was at sea?

Monty...
Thanks for that. I am informed that Magaret died in 1926 aged 42yrs in childbirth which means if she was 26 in 1911 then in 1926 she would have been 42yrs old, that bit fits...She also had a daughter called Ada, my great aunt. I am fairly certain that her dad (my great grandad) was called Alfred...I made a mistake calling him Ernest?
George, Magaret's husband was a steamship fireman so he could have been away at the time of the census.
Brian

Merry Monty Montgomery
11-04-09, 18:17
If you think that's the right marriage I posted in 1907 you could get the marriage cert which would confirm her father's name. I made an error before, he is Albert in 1901 but Alfred in 1891. His wife is Annie E, so this looks like their marriage:

Marriages Mar 1884
CULLATON Kate Liverpool 8b 198
Hughes Annie Eliza Liverpool 8b 198 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Mingaud Alfred Liverpool 8b 198 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
RIMMINGTON Albert Liverpool 8b 198

This is Margaret's birth record:

Births Mar 1885
Mingaud Margaret Ellen Toxteth Park 8b 226

Of course you should get the certs one at a time going back, starting with the 1907 marriage, in case something unexpected happens! lol

Merry Monty Montgomery
11-04-09, 18:28
Death?

Deaths Mar 1926

Bethell Margaret aged 41 Liverpool 8b 144

(note, no middle initial)

Richard
11-04-09, 18:35
Brian

Welcome to the boards. I have quite an interest in Huguenot family history so hopefully might be able to help.

Are you already aware of this thread at BG forums discussing the Bethells and Mingauds?

Bethell [Archive] - B-G Forums sponsored by Parish Chest Ltd. (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-25266.html)

The surname certainly is among the 236 in the Huguenot cemetery Dublin, and appears in the London Huguenot churches too. However according to that thread, Edward was the son of Francois Mingaud who invented the billiard cue tip! However a bit of googling shows he was an officer, a captain in Napoleons army, so post Huguenot era, and looks like he may have still actually been in France and in prison until the end of the Napoleonic regime circa 1815.

garstonite
11-04-09, 23:38
thats a great find Richard...a pat on the back for that one mate...that should make Brian happy....allan;)

brianbethell
11-04-09, 23:56
I am going to do some ringing round tomorrow to some family members...they are all younger than me so may be subject to the same family legends as myself. I hear lots of stuff from years ago but nothing confirmed.
It's cool to think that Steve Davis et al may owe their fortunes to an ancestor of mine:D
Thanks everyone for helping
Brian

brianbethell
13-04-09, 00:22
Merry...
I meant to ask about something in one of your posts.

What does Cullation mean and the numerals 8b 198
Brian

JudithM
13-04-09, 10:25
Marriages Mar 1884
CULLATON Kate Liverpool 8b 198
Hughes Annie Eliza Liverpool 8b 198 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Mingaud Alfred Liverpool 8b 198 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
RIMMINGTON Albert Liverpool 8b 198

This is Margaret's birth record:

Births Mar 1885
Mingaud Margaret Ellen Toxteth Park 8b 226

Merry...
I meant to ask about something in one of your posts.

What does Cullation mean and the numerals 8b 198
Brian

In case Merry doesn't get back to this thread for a while can I help on this one. Because marriage registers have space for two marriages per page the four names Merry listed all appear on the same page of the marriage register and so have the same reference number. The only way to be sure who married who is to get the certificate but in this case it looks like Kate Cullaton married Albert Rimmington and Annie Eliza Hughes married Alfred Mingaud.
Liverpool is the registration district, 8b the volume number and 198 the page number. You need those references to order a certificate from the GRO (General register office)

Oh, and a belated welcome to FTF :)

brianbethell
13-04-09, 17:21
Thanks Judith...

That's a big help...I am going to go for the second couple mentioned because both their names are so familiar. I am still trying tp persuade relatives to cough up info. It seems other members of the family know a lot more than I do and I am the second eldest in the whole family? For or some reason this peeves me somewhat.
Take care
Brian

brianbethell
13-04-09, 23:53
Can anyone tell me whare Margaret Bethell nee Mingaud is buried (wife of George Bethell)
She apparently died Mar 26th 1926 in hospital in Brownlow Hill Liverpool.? A member of family told me she was buried in a communal grave.
Thanks
Brian

Kit
14-04-09, 07:29
Just saying hello and welcome to FTF Brian.

I wish you success in your search.

Merry Monty Montgomery
14-04-09, 14:10
Can anyone tell me whare Margaret Bethell nee Mingaud is buried (wife of George Bethell)
She apparently died Mar 26th 1926 in hospital in Brownlow Hill Liverpool.? A member of family told me she was buried in a communal grave.
Thanks
Brian

Unless she had a particular connection to a church, by 1926 she would most likely have been buried in a council cemetery.

Have a look here:

Brownlow Hill Liverpool cemetery - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Brownlow+Hill+Liverpool+cemetery&fb=1&split=1&view=text&ei=OovkSezdLoHM-AbnpJiJCQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1)

brianbethell
14-04-09, 23:41
Thanks Merry...
I know that cemetary very well, used to play there as a child.
My good news is that I have a marriage cert (19th May 1907) and death cert (25th March 1926) for Margaret Mingaud. The death cert gives as primary cause of death 'placenta praevia ante partum haemorrhage 6 weeks' I can only assume from my scant knowledge of medical Latin that it is to do with childbirth. Secondary cause reads as 'Anaemia, 2days post partum'
144a Brownlow Hill was once a hospital...the Catholic cathedral now stands in its place.
I have learned more about my gran in three days than my family were able or willing to tell me in years.
Brian

garstonite
15-04-09, 07:25
Hiya Brian....on Lancashirebmd.org.uk ....
Margaret Ellen Mingaud b 1885 Toxteth Park Ref No TP/284/43 ....You can buy her birth certificate at OLD HALL ST Register office for £7....if you don`t live in Liverpool anymore I`ll gladly pop into the Office and order it for you....allan;)
ADDED....It may be worthwhile finding the 1891 and 1901 census returns for Mingaud in the Toxteh Park area to see who Margaret Ellens parents and siblings were.....allan

brianbethell
15-04-09, 16:45
Thanks Mate...
I have a sister who lives in Cumbria, she, it seems, has Margaret's birth Cert...Margaret's dad was one Alfred Mingaud. Alfred was a busy man in the procreation stakes...my sister (also called Margaret) tells me that he produced no less that 8 offspring Thomas, Edward, William, Margaret (my gran), Annie, Lilly, Ada, and a namesake - Alfred; who died 1yr old.
William was born in 1895 and died in 1918. Alfred Snr's father, Edward George Henry Mingaud was born in Westminster London and moved to Liverpool (I don't know when) and was a law agent...whatever that is? Alfred Jnr was a Millers labourer and Grandmaster of an Orange lodge in Mill Street L,pool.
Things are going apace...quite pleased with myself. Spurred on by the helpful support from folk on this site...I could be related to Claudius the Roman Emporer;)
Brian

brianbethell
19-04-09, 00:55
Does anyone know of a company who will set out a family tree. One that is is fancy script and framed etc. For a birthday gift kind of thing.
Thanks
Brian

kylejustin
21-04-09, 09:21
you can always do it yourself. i do. they take a little time depending on exactly how you want to do it, but it is fun, and they look great when your done.

brianbethell
21-04-09, 12:37
Thanks KJ...I have been looking at software to do just that, there seems to be some decent kit out there so we shall give it a go, I think.
Brian