Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA 9th April 2009 is ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA 9th April 2009 is ....

claretaylor22

Well done Clare - and in case anyone thinks I cheated (Clare and I are related), KiwiChris chose this week´s winner!
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 09-04-09, 20:58.
    Elaine

Ohhhh how exciting.

Anyone up for a trip north of the boarder?!

I need to get my notes together then I'll work out who I'm looking for!:D
    Clare

Comment

It's a fix, it's a fix LOL only joking :D

Hope you get some brickwalls knocked down Clare.
      Jay

Comment

Right, this is my Dad's family, not the side that makes me and Elaine related;)

I can't find either the bride or groom on the 1901 census they married in 1917 in Greenock in Renfrewshire. I know nothing at all about the family. I've looked for births for the groom, nothing and also nothing for marriages of their respective parents!:(

I have viewed their ages, well his, sceptically as I can't find a birth for him, Ive looked at any likely ones and they aren't him! My grandfather was born in 1917 and hopefully his BC will arrive next week. (Altho not sure that will give us anymore info than the MC)

I'm happy to spend credits on Scotlands People but was hoping Ancestry will help with census entries
        Clare

Comment

Just for clarification, this is a Taylor/Robinson marriage and these folk are the groom's and bride's parents. Correct? Did you cut off the groom's and bride's names deliberately?
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What are the names of the bride and groom?
            Elaine

Comment

Sorry!:o I read the post twice to make sure it made sense, just didn't look closely at image ooops

Samuel George Taylor married Mabel May Robinson

I've posted the image so everyone can look at the names themselves rather than relying on me. (I did post the image a couple of weeks ago for help with names but still made no progress!)
              Last edited by claretaylor22; 09-04-09, 21:55. Reason: correct typo of "mabel"!
              Clare

Comment

I've been double checking and the ages are red herrings i think;)

Mabel May Robinson wasn't born between 1890 and 1900 in either Scotland or England and Wales I've looked at a possible in 1899 but the parents are wrong

I've also looked for Samuel and looked at 4 possible births, between 1890 and 1894 in the Lanark/Glasgow area but again wrong parents:(

I've also looked for deaths, I'm pretty sure they died in Scotland as Grandfather went "home" to Scotland in the 1950's when he and Grandmother divorced, and nothing jumps out at me there either! I THINK they were alive until at least 1950 as we have a picture of them and they look about 60. (also for us to have it was probably left with Grandmother when Grandfather left in about 1952)
                Clare

Comment

Grrrr:(

The only Taylor/Milne marriage is in 1888 and for a Samuel George Taylor and an Isabella Hardie Milne.

I found a birth for a Samuel Taylor in 1890 with a father Samuel but the mother is Bessie m/s Black.

Have also had a look to see if they married on the otherside of the boarder and can't see anything that matches that either!
                  Clare

Comment

Not having much luck here although not very familiar with Scottish research.
                    What ages are given for Samuel and Mabel on the marriage certificate.
                    Elaine

Comment

I think that is a big part of my problem.

That and that this family don't seem to know how to tell the truth!

They say they are 24 but there are no corresponding births for either of them There are just no births for Mabel Robinson other than one in 1899 which doesn't fit. There are plenty of Samuel Taylor births I've looked at the entries for quite a few and will check the rest between 1890 and 1900.

They should both be on the 1901 census surely! To have married in 1917 they must have been born by 1901.:( Otherwise they would have been 16 when they married which doesn't seem likely.
                      Clare

Comment

congratulations enjoy your week brenda xxx

Comment

Thank you Brenda

I'm wondering if they were south of the boarder in 1901 as the whole Robinson family can't have just disappeared!

I found this Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3210; Folio: 56; Page: 26. but am not sure as her age is out, but there is no birth for the age she gives for her marriage anyway:(

I'm off out now, OH has family visiting for weekend so have to go and show my face for a while!;)
                          Clare

Comment

I struggled last night and couldn't find anything.

Did wonder if they moved a lot due to the father's jobs - perhaps they were in Ireland or overseas in 1901.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                              Grrrr:(

The only Taylor/Milne marriage is in 1888 and for a Samuel George Taylor and an Isabella Hardie Milne.

I found a birth for a Samuel Taylor in 1890 with a father Samuel but the mother is Bessie m/s Black.

Have also had a look to see if they married on the otherside of the boarder and can't see anything that matches that either!
                              Clare,
                              I had some credits on ScotlandsPeople so had a look at the Samuel Taylor/ Isabella Hardie Milne marriage and it is your man, occupation Custom House Officer. Date 19 June 1888 at Lumley Street Grangemouth.
                              I have saved the image so can send to you if you PM me your email address.
                              Margaret

Comment

I've had no luck finding anyone in Scotland or England censuses 1891, 1901.
                                Margaret

Comment

I think I've found Isabella Milne in 1871 & 1881 with her parents

I'm not sure if the refs mean anything for Scotland but I'll post them if they do!
                                  Clare

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                                    I think I've found Isabella Milne in 1871 & 1881 with her parents

I'm not sure if the refs mean anything for Scotland but I'll post them if they do!
                                    Are they in England or Scotland?

Margaret

Comment

Scotland, not found anyone else or any marriages that fit for the Robinson side of things
                                      Clare

Comment

Parish: Govan; ED: 10; Page: 35; Line: 7; Roll: CSSCT1871_144; Year: 1871.

This is James and Elizabeth Taylor in 1871 with a son Samuel, he was born in Ireland, which would make sense that a marriage for Taylor/Batty isn't on Scotlands People if they weren't here!!:D
                                        Clare

Comment

Working...
                                        X