Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please may I ask for comments.......

.........intelligent or otherwise!!

I will withhold my own thoughts, and see if anybody comes up with something to match, or indeed, entirely different.

I am still researching a particularly tricky line for my brother in law - it's tricky in that there are many illegitimacies and strange goings on. Please read on and tell me what conclusions you come to, if any.

Georgiana was one of two illegitimate girls, and both of them were given the middle name of Percival which might have been the name of their father but I will never know. She married a man, who whilst not a toy boy was certainly much younger than she was, and they appeared to produce four children. The first one was born in 1869, five years after the marriage, and was given a rather odd extra middle name of Angelo. The "0" is very clear on birth cert etc. so it is not Angela gone wrong. The last of the four children was born in 1883.
    The thing is, Georgiana and her husband never lived together at the time of any of the censuses, and in every single instance he is living with his unmarried sister in Darlington whilst Georgiana flits around between her mother and other addresses out in the country some distance away, finally ending up with her son. In 1901 she claims that she is a widow, but her husband is still very much alive (and STILL with his sister) and in fact he eventually outlives Georgiana.
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Is it worth £28 to discover the birthplace and informant's name for each of the children?
    Is there any pattern to the birth months which might give further geographical clues?
    Did any of them leave a will?
    Does the husband's employment give any clues?
    Are there any clues in her death certificate?

As a study in Victorian morals, it seems quite normal!
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Did Georgiana actually marry? Have you found the marriage ref for her?

What about requesting the baptism records on microfilm for her children through your local LDS? That would be so much cheaper than ordering certificates, my LDS charges around £3.50 per film.

Joanie

Comment

My GGrandmother had an illegitimate daughter in 1879. She married in 1881 and had two children with her husband. They are never together on the census. She then shows up in 1891 with 4 more children and is living with their father - not her husband. She has another 3 with him but is alone in 1901 and 1911, with the children.

The only way I knew her husband was not the father of the other children was to order a couple - my GGrandfather being one of them lol

My GGrandfather married my GGrandmother in 1919, but left her a couple of months after my Grandmother was born. He lived with his sister (and later her husband) and my GGranmother lived with her family and my Grandmother. As far as I know, neither had more children, but I'd never be able to find out if they did - they aren't on the birth index under his name.

Georgiana sounds quite 'normal' to me ;)

Have you tried electoral registers to see if he ever lives away from his sister? It may be that he was just working away at the time the census was taken.
        Tracy

Comment

Would the marriages of Georgiana's children reveal anything, no father listed, father listed but not Georgina's husband etc.
          Jay

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

The husband of Georgiana was a Tailor by trade, and I will have to follow the path of electoral registers if I can to see if that throws up anything, so thank you Tracy for that.

Yes Georgiana did marry, and I have her marriage certificate to prove it, and also have the birth cert for the first daughter (the one with the peculiar middle name) which gives Georgiana's husband as the father, so it is probably pointless sending off for the others. The informant was Georgiana, so not very helpful

One thing is certain, from your replies it seems that all this muddle is quite normal for the time!!
            Last edited by sally; 09-04-09, 21:40.
            Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

My 3 x GGM and her husband never appear on the census together - he was always away at sea.

He must have come home at some point though, because they had eleven children and there is no query over their paternity!

Another relative managed to marry, produce two children, become a widower and dump his children on their maternal granny, all between the 1861 census and the 1871 census, turning up with his parents in 1871 as "unmarried" (which of course, was true in a way).

Um...a tailor is unlikely to be on the Electoral Roll in the 1800s unless he owned a substantial business. Street directories might be a better way to go.

OC

Comment

Am I right in thinking that you are afraid of upsetting your brother in law with your findings?
                Experience shows that skeletons in the closet make for a more interesting Tree and most of us have this kind of skeleton turning up and quite enjoy the thrill of the search.
                If you are worried about how he will react, give him some senarioes of what you could find out and get a reaction from him before you tell all.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                X