Desserters in WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desserters in WW1

If a solider deserted in WW1 were they always shot upon capture?

I believe so Sue.

Comment

Oh dear this is a 17 year old boy. On joining up he told the army he was 19. How sad.

Comment

Oh dear me, not a relative I hope. have you come across the shot at dawn campaign?

Comment

Here's a list of cemeteries with men who where "shot at dawn" if you'r interested.

World War One Cemeteries, Shot at Dawn cemetery list
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
            Oh dear me, not a relative I hope. have you come across the shot at dawn campaign?
            Yes he is a relative Barbara. He's the son of my great uncle.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
              Here's a list of cemeteries with men who where "shot at dawn" if you'r interested.

World War One Cemeteries, Shot at Dawn cemetery list
              Thanks for that Wendy I will take a look.

Comment

I am sorry Sue, I think you would find the "Shot at Dawn" campaign of some interest

Comment

I have a number of Australian servicemen who went AWOL for various periods, and they weren't shot, but I believe the British were a lot tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                    I am sorry Sue, I think you would find the "Shot at Dawn" campaign of some interest
                    Thanks for that Barbara I will read up on that after dinner.

How terrible that sounds when I have just found out a 17 year old was shot for basically being scared.

Comment

No, lots of deserters went back into the army later. My great-uncle is listed as a deserter and then later was on active service and did even get all his medals eventually. And I've looked at lots of WW1 service records where someone is marked as a deserter and then went back. I don't know exactly what the circumstances would be for someone to be shot for deserting or what percentage were.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

List of names of the men who were shot for desertion/cowardice in WW1:

Van de geschiedenis van zaken doen tot modernere vormen van B2B, op Janpieterchielens.be informeer ik u over alles wat met bedrijvigheid te maken heeft. Of dit nou gaat over een bedrijf op starten in het buitenland, of het verhuizen van je huidige bedrijf naar het buitenland, over de bepaalde rechten die je hebt als ondernemer, ... [Read more...]

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                          List of names of the men who were shot for desertion/cowardice in WW1:

Mackinlay List
                          I've just had a look at that page Mary and he is not listed on there. I see there is a footnote that + denotes repeat offenders. So maybe he wasn't shot.

Comment

Oh I do hope he wasn't...........

Comment

I have another list, if you want me to double check just pm his name...

Comment

Found some info, of the men court martialed for desertion 3000 were sentenced to death and 10% were actually executed.

Comment

Deserting on the battlefield usually resulted in death.

Going AWOL didn't always.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Deserting on the battlefield usually resulted in death.

Going AWOL didn't always.

OC
                                    Oh dear the poor lad was only 17.

Comment

Sue

I'm sure I read somewhere that soldiers under the age of 18 weren't shot, but this may not be correct.

Deserting in the face of the enemy, or refusing to obey an order to fire, usually resulted in execution because they were offences of commission, rather than just crawling out of the camp under cover of night and making for home.

Yes, a disgusting episode in our history.

OC

Comment

I do hope thats the case OC.

Comment

Working...
                                        X