Help to read this please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to read this please

Can you make out the occupation and the comment in the right hand column for William Burnett and his wife. Thank you

Original is RG10 5113 Folio 62 Page 27 if you want to see it.

Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

the wife is blind from birth. the husband is blind, but i cant read after that.
    he is a raft caller? ship something?

Comment

Is it Sight Caller .. blind from inflammation?

Comment

I read that William is a night caler / light caller and his wife is (ditto occupation) wife.

She is blind from birth and William possibly blind from employment...?

Comment

I thought it might be night caller, but I cannot figure out the last bit after it says he is blind. Wish these enumerators had written more neatly lol
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
            I read that William is a night caler / light caller and his wife is (ditto occupation) wife.

She is blind from birth and William possibly blind from employment...?
            Ooh that's interesting. If it's my William he used to be a mariner could it be connected do you think? ... there's just no way of knowing though is there.
            Jules

Comment

We have a seafarer who went blind.
              We were told it was because of his work, but I know little of these medical matters.

Comment

it is very messy writing. i would agree with jammy.
                whatever it is, it does seem sea related, the word ship is after it.

Comment

Hi
                  If you look at the 1881 census it looks like his occupation is "night caller" & it says he was blind from birth.
                  Moggie

Comment

I think the blurry word is shipwright, I've been copying it on to a bit of paper.

How somebody blind would build ships, I dunno!

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                      Hi
                      If you look at the 1881 census it looks like his occupation is "night caller" & it says he was blind from birth.
                      Moggie
                      Oh yes, I'd forgotten that I'd previously looked at that one. however, I wonder if it was lazyness on the 1881, 1871 seems more detailed, just a shame we can't read it.
                      Jules

Comment

It's not caller it's caulker!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                          I think the blurry word is shipwright, I've been copying it on to a bit of paper.

How somebody blind would build ships, I dunno!
                          Hehe, I dunno either, but it made me laugh
                          Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                            It's not caller it's caulker!!!!!!

Are you sure JB? Not sure how he would do this blind.

To make watertight or airtight by filling or sealing: caulk a pipe joint; caulked the cracks between the boards with mud.
                            2. Nautical To make (a boat) watertight by packing seams with a waterproof material, such as oakum or pitch.
                            Jules

Comment

In 1851 there's a W.B grandson of a W.B age 11 & blind.
                              In 1861 there's a W.B nephew of a Thomas B age 19 mariner, not noted as being blind.
                              Moggie

Comment

I'm convinced it's caulker, and I have to say with all this sea faring stuff I am now, if you pardon the pun, out of my depth.......:D

Comment

Maybe the birth certificate of baby William in 1871 would reveal the occupation.

I see the lodger Sarah is blind too.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                    In 1851 there's a W.B grandson of a W.B age 11 & blind.
                                    In 1861 there's a W.B nephew of a Thomas B age 19 mariner, not noted as being blind.
                                    Moggie
                                    I think the 1861 is my WB. But I also think he was the grandson not nephew as described.

So many WB's from Northumberland!!
                                    Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                                      Maybe the birth certificate of baby William in 1871 would reveal the occupation.

I see the lodger Sarah is blind too.
                                      It looks as if the accomodation is for blind people as there seem to be a few of them in the same building.
                                      Jules

Comment

Working...
                                      X