Gosling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gosling

I am trying to find information on my Gosling's.

Ann Gosling was born in around 1825, at Birmingham, Warwickshire. Her father was Samuel Gosling, who was a lapidary (I hope I have spelt that right)

She married John Smith in 1844, at the Parish Church of Handsworth, Staffordshire. Witnesses at the marriage were Ann Gosling, and Samuel Ashford. They married in the following year. Ann was Ann's Step Mother (I wish my family had more originality when it comes to first names!)

Samuel and Ann married in 1830, at Handsworth. They had at least three children. They were christened at St Stephen, Birmingham, in 1849, 7 years after Samuel Gosling's death. At the same time, there is a Ann Maria Gosling, daughter of Samuel & Sarah.

There is a marriage between a Samuel Gosling and Sarah Brittain at Handsworth in 1810 (Not to sure on date).

So, I have a few question's.

Could the Ann Maria Gosling be my Ann? I have no record of Ann ever having a middle name, she marries as just Ann Gosling, and the same on her son's birth certificate. And, would I be right in saying, that you needed to be christened before you could marry in a COE church?

Why does Samuel not christen his children?

Also, can any one track down Ann on the 1841 census. She may be living with relatives, but as of yet, I have not been able to track her down. Sorry, I have now found her. But even this raises a new question. Does any one know what the letters S M stand for. They are down as her occupation.

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Last edited by Tippin; 09-04-09, 11:36.
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Are you sure the initials aren't FS? This was common shorthand for "female servant".

As for the rest

a) people mucked about with their names. My ex has a gt gt grandmother Emily Kezia who married as plain Emily. He also has a Rose who married as Rosella. I have an Annie who married as Elizabeth Ann.

so you can't read too much into names.

As to why Samuel didn't christen his children, maybe he begruded the money! I've found numerous instances of children baptised in a "job lot" when they were no longer infants.

You have the right to marry in the parish church where you are living, regardless of whether or not you;ve been baptised.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Little Nell,

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
      Are you sure the initials aren't FS? This was common shorthand for "female servant".
      I was expecting her to be a Female Servant when I was looking for her to be honest, but the initials are defenatley not FS.

The place she is living at seems a stange house. It perhaps is a back-to-back. The household is on New Thomas Street. I have no idea where the address is, I will have to look at a map to find it, but I imagine that it is in, what is now, Birmingham city centre.

In the household, there is the following, each with their occupations wrote in short hand;

William Thomas - L (Labourer, I guess)
      John Hayes - Japn (Japaner?)
      James Thomas - B S
      William Shipley - B C
      Ann Gosling - S M
      Ann Worrall - S P

I would not expect a Labourer to have an servants, let alone 4.

The census image can be found at;
      HO107 piece 1145 folio 6/15 page 22

Any idea's anyone?

Tippin
      Families Intrested in
      Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

You are right the image clearly says F.M.
        I don't think you can assume that William Thomas was the head of the household and the other people at the address were his servants. More likely they lodged in the same house and worked elsewhere, though I am mystified as to the initials.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
        X