Boarders and lodgers? 1881

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boarders and lodgers? 1881

I had a big breakthrough on my Irish wall the other day and discovered my 2 and 3x Grandmothers in Roscommon. My 3x GM maiden name was Roddy and the names shows up for 3 young working lads with my GG mother (Irish side) in 1881 census.
    The relationship for Roddy is shown as 'lodger'.... then a line has been struck through it and 'boarder' has been written above it.
    Does anyone know if this could be significant? To me boarder and lodger mean someone paying to live in the house.
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

I think the difference is that the boarder gets meals, where the lodger just gets a bed.
    Tracy

Comment

Yes, lodgers paid for a roof over their heads and sorted themselves out. Boarders shared "board" (ie the table) and had their meals provided.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sometimes boarders & lodgers can be relations too, I've got two families where a brother and a cousin are described as such (sorry to muddy the waters)

Comment

Thank you all... that clears the muddy waters for me. Just exploring every every little hint I can spot on documents and what Jill says is helpful
          John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Like Jill I have a daughter and grandson described as lodgers by their father, that was in 1901

Comment

My ex has a gt gt gt grannie who describes her son as "servant"!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have a mother in law described as boarder. I suppose she paid rent.

Comment

Working...
                X