Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Brickwall, Hargreaves/Beardow

Hi all,

Can someone please help? Maybe another pair of eyes will see something I've missed.

All born Huddersfield.

Jonathan Womersley Armitage b.1836 (I have all his details) and Elizabeth Beardow b. 1839 (have her details up to 1861) the couple married in Huddersfield 1860 and had a son James Henry Armitage born 1861 Hudd's, the family are together on the 1861 census. 1871 census - no Elizabeth, Jonathan and James Henry are living with Jonathan's father, George Womersley Armitage, ciitation : Class: RG10; Piece: 4370; Folio: 24; Page: 41;
    After this census I lose track of James Henry, I haven't found a probable death for him. Sometime between 1871 and 1873 Jonathan set up home together with Mary Hargreaves b. 1840 in Leeds. Jonathan and Mary had five children between 1873 - 1884, all the children were surnamed Hargreaves and had Armitage as a middle name. Jonathan and Mary eventually married in 1898.

So, what happened to Elizabeth and James Henry? I'm assuming Jonathan was unable to marry Mary until 1898 (when presumably Elizabeth died).

Jonathan and Mary are my ggrandparents, a cousin THINKS! Elizabeth may have moved to Scotland with her new man, this being the case, how did Jonathan know his wife had died, unless his son James Henry told him, or his wife moved back to Huddersfield?

Any help or ideas will be much appreciated, and I do mean ANY, as I've struggled for years with this puzzle.

Libby
    Last edited by Guest; 09-04-09, 02:25.
Working...
X