Found my Grandma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found my Grandma

in 1911 census in Newcastle on Tyne living at 104 Jefferson Street. Hooray.
    Only problem is I cant find a map to show me where that street was in the town. Tried Google and AA and Genuki - any one any ideas please?
    Or does anyone know when the enumerators walks list come out so maybe I could work it out?
    Thanks very much
    Angelina

I assume she's not the 1901 census ?
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

no she was up in scotland then - found her there ok in 1901 in edinburgh. definitely Grandma as rest of family is with her in 1911in newcastle.i just would like toknow where Jefferson street is in newcastle.
      thanks
      Angelina

Comment

Is it deffo Newcastle, and not one of the surrounding towns/townships such as North Shields or (perish the thought!) Gateshead?
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I'm trying to find Newcastle on Tyne on the 1901 census with a view to looking at the EDs and maybe finding your street that way

Looking here on FreeBMD to get an idea of the districts

Newcastle upon Tyne Registration District
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Looks like Jefferson Street still exists. It's mentioned in this traffic regulations document:
            http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/condiary.nsf/all/C45F749AA3F530C5802574FD004C995B/$FILE/Westgate%20Inner.doc
            which mentions "5. Derby Street – west side from Barrack Road to Jefferson Street."

Derby Street and Barrack Road come up on Google Maps. No Jefferson Street, but there is a Jefferson Place off Derby Street near Barrack Road.
            Last edited by Cloggie; 08-04-09, 16:13.
            Sarah

Comment

Jefferson Street is mentioned (1901) in the Civil Parish of Westgate EDs 61 and 62

Aha
              It's ED 62

Church Street
              Moor Street
              Jefferson Street (nos 49 - 113) and 112 to ? 50 ?
              Monday Street
              New Mills
              Barrack Square
              Last edited by Rachel Scand; 08-04-09, 16:15.

Comment

Sounds like that could be the same Jefferson Street (which I think may be Jefferson Place on Google Maps) mentioned in the traffic regulations document then (see my previous post), as they are for the Westgate Ward Area.
                Sarah

Comment

Thats fantastic thank you very much indeed - my mum will be pleased when I show her where herfamily was from on a map.
                  Thats was a great easter present - thanks so much
                  Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                    Jefferson Street is mentioned (1901) in the Civil Parish of Westgate EDs 61 and 62

Aha
                    It's ED 62

Church Street
                    Moor Street
                    Jefferson Street (nos 49 - 113) and 112 to ? 50 ?
                    Monday Street
                    New Mills
                    Barrack Square
                    GoogleMaps shows a Monday Place, Monday Crescent, Barrack Road, New Mills, all near Jefferson Place, so definitely sounds like the same area.
                    Sarah

Comment

just been on google and checked out the street names - I bet you are right - those road names are all close together - will show mum when she comes over - thanks so much for helping me. you are great.
                      Angelina

Comment

Even if Jefferson Place is not the same as Jefferson Street, at least it seems to be the right area.
                        Sarah

Comment

Just to mention that Westgate is in the censuses in its own right, not as part of Newcastle. I have several families who lived there at various times.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                            Sounds like that could be the same Jefferson Street (which I think may be Jefferson Place on Google Maps) mentioned in the traffic regulations document then (see my previous post), as they are for the Westgate Ward Area.
                            Just catching up with this it does sound right doesn't it :D

Comment

Jefferson Place is near St James football ground. Westgate was always part of Newcastle - the name came from the west gate in the Newcastle town walls.

You could try contacting 'Tyne and Wear Archives, Blandford Street Newcastle upon Tyne', they may be prepared to check old maps. The web address is 'tyneandweararchives'.

Anne

Comment

thanks very much for that information - very much apprciated. will tell mum tomorrow when i see her.
                                Angelina

Comment

Working...
                                X