Navy uniform c1942

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy uniform c1942

My Grandparents married in 1942. In the photo, Granddad is wearing a navy uniform-type suit.

I always thought the hats were white on top with dark on the lower sides, where the HMS bit goes. The one in the photo appears to be very dark with a lighter band where the HMS bit is.

Were they like this, or was he wearing a 'fake' one? Unfortunately, the hat is positioned so I can't read what ship he was on. Only the H is showing.
    Tracy

Hiya Tracy

I've got a photo here of my Grandad who was a submariner in the 2nd world war. His hat is dark on the top and sides with a dark band running round
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Thanks Jeanette.
      The cert says A. B. Royal Navy, so not really sure what he did.
      Tracy

Comment

A.B. is Able Seaman (i.e. he could swim!!). Doesn't tell you what he actually did, though.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Did they have different hats depending on their rank????
          Jeanette

Comment

Ahh, thanks John.

I've been looking at the Royal Navy site, and the only difference between the hats is the from Officer class have the plastic, sticky-out bit on them. The insignia on them are also different, but you'd expect that.
            Tracy

Comment

Plastic sticky-out bit....would that be a peak then Tracy ;) :D

I wonder if there's any sites that might help. Have you had a look on the wiki?
              Jeanette

Comment

they also had different uniforms depending on whether it was the "Sunday Best " ie Dress Uniform or not.

anything like these?

obviously the chap with the cap isn't in full uniform!

Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 08-04-09, 15:21.
                Vicky

Comment

I think they had cap covers???? BUT can't remember whether the cover was white, or dark!
                  So, the same cap could look both colours on top, depending on whether or not it was covered.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Wartime uniform was without the white top to the hat - also HMS cap tally replaced the name of the ship - so enemy didn't know what ships were where!!!

Those wearing a cap tally were Ordinary Seamen, Able Seamen or - Leading Seamen who wore an anchor badge on his sleeve.

Petty Officers and Chief Petty Officers wore peaked caps - the Petty Officer also wore 2 crossed anchors on his sleeve whereas the chief petty officer wore badges on his lapels. Don't think there were any Fleet Chief Petty Officers or Warrant Officers during the war.

The working dress of the navy was a lightish blue shirt over navyish cotton trousers knowns as No 8's.

Looks like the men below the sailor were wearing working dress but they could have been Royal Fleet Auxillary or Merchant Navy too. The one wearing a peaked hat could have a Chief Petty Officer but the badge looks a bit big or an Officer - can't really see much of the badge.

An Officer's cap badge was surrounded by Gold Oak Leaves - will see if I can find you a picture.

http://www.gievesandhawkesmilitary.c...p_Badges_.html top badge

Last edited by JBee; 08-04-09, 16:22.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

This picture of my Dad was taken about 1942. He is wearing a peaked cap because he was a cook. This style was worn by cooks, writers etc at that time. Petty Officers still wear caps now.
                      The caps were dark in colour and I remember that my father had white cotton covers for his , which were used when he went to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) about 1944.

Dad was a member of the RN Patrol Service (known as Harry Tate's Navy!) and he served on a Yarmouth drifter which had been converted as a minesweeper.

Comment

Yes that's a Petty Officers Uniform - notice the cap badge and badges on the sleeve.

Wasn't aware that junior rates had any other uniform than the square rig blue and tropical and No 8's in the war

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Can we see the photo of Grandad?

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                            Yes that's a Petty Officers Uniform - notice the cap badge and badges on the sleeve.

Wasn't aware that junior rates had any other uniform than the square rig blue and tropical and No 8's in the war
                            I don't think I made myself very clear!!! Dad was not a Petty Officer. Cooks, Writers etc wore peaked caps as well as Petty Officers at that time. I don't know when the styles changed but Cooks etc wear 'bell bottoms' now. The badge on his sleeve has a 'C' (for cook) in the middle of a white star.

Comment

This is a similar cap - 3rd radio officer, merchant navy

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Sorry Shirley - you are quite correct

OH has just told me S & S Branch didn't wear square rig until c1961/62 changed not long after he joined up - roughly around time conscription sailors left. I joined quite awhile after so didn't see or hear about it.

He doesn't know why they were different - must have been thought a cut above the rest lol
                                Last edited by JBee; 08-04-09, 20:28.

Comment

His uniform is just like the first one in Vicky's photo. He's not wearing the hat though - it's in his hand for the photo. It's funny - all the men have taken their hats off, but all the women are wearing them :D

Last edited by Orangeblossom; 09-04-09, 09:33.
                                  Tracy

Comment

Hi Tracy

I can date the first photo to about 1942/3 too, as that's when he would have first joined up. By 1944 he had finished his training & was on submarines until 1947. I don't have any other photos of him in that sort of uniform; in the 1950's he was a petty officer & as others have said post-war are slightly different. I do have a similar uniform though the caps aren't visible

this one from 1950, sorry about the quality. I don't think this one's my dad, I think its one of his brothers

and this from 1957, definitely a brother!

By the way, the men in the second photo in my first posting are merchant navy, not RN, and will also date from the war, though I suspect that one is nearer to 1945 going off their apparent ages.

have you tried to get a copy of his records? Should detail the ships he was on (though be aware not all of them are actual ships eg HMS Drake & HMS Mercury are shore-based training establishments)
                                    Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 09-04-09, 11:08. Reason: correction
                                    Vicky

Comment

His hat is right for a ww2 rating, doesn't he look happy....

Comment

When I joined the Navy (1954) we were issued with 4 caps, 2 black (winter) 2 (summer). The black caps would be worn with a blue woolen sea jersey, the white hats woould be worn with a white cotton shirt with a dark blue trim around the neck. I think the two types of cap were discontinued sometime in the 60's, hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                                        X