Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Boyd

Hi All.
    I am new to this forum, so I hope I am asking in the right place.
    My ancestors start out with John Boyd died 1896 Acacia Dam NSW (Near Broken Hill NSW). Australia
    Age 46.
    His is also known as John Nathan, John Henry Boyd
    On his death certificate done by his wife, his father was listed as John Boyd, mother unknown.
    Their lies the problem. No known mother.
    Our John married (?) his wife Emma Vaughan (B1886 Gawler SA) 21 September 1881. Toorawangee near Poolamaca Station (cattle station) NSW.

Problem with no mother is we never been able to trace this any further despite extensive research.
    Suppose to have been born Sydney NSW Cir 1850!
    Anyone with a Boyd connection/Relation to any John Boyd
    Cheerio

Do you have John Boyd and Emma Vaughan's marriage certificate, and if so, does it give any details of John's parents on it?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I can't see any sign of the marriage in the NSW BDM index - where does the date come from?

I can't see a likely birth for John in NSW either.

I think you've mistyped Emma's birth date.

Does it say on his death cert where he was born, and if not in Aus, how long heìd been in the colony?
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-04-09, 13:58.

Comment

There are two births on NSW BMD with parents John N and Emma:
        John E Boyd born 1887 at Bourke and Albert E Boyd born 1896 at Broken Hill. Presumably you already have these. Also a John N Boyd death in 1881, at Wilcannia, parents John N and Emma.
        Sorry, none of which really helps with your question!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I take it you know Albert's WW1 service record is online?

Comment

Hi all.
            Thanks for the replys.
            Do you have John Boyd and Emma Vaughan's marriage certificate, and if so, does it give any details of John's parents on it?
            I have searched church records, BDMs in NSW & SA. No luck. Originally info was taken of their childrens certificates. I suspect as very few priest were around in those early days it was just a "Bush" wedding and never recorded.
            I think you've mistyped Emma's birth date.
            Opps, sorry 1866 Gawler SA.
            Does it say on his death cert where he was born, and if not in Aus, how long heìd been in the colony
            Sydney NSW, I have paid them to check out all from 1840 to 1860, all were accounted for!
            There are two births on NSW BMD with parents John N and Emma:
            John E Boyd born 1887 at Bourke and Albert E Boyd born 1896 at Broken Hill. Presumably you already have these. Also a John N Boyd death in 1881, at Wilcannia, parents John N and Emma.
            these are some of his children, all certificates accounted for.
            I take it you know Albert's WW1 service record is online?
            this my line of decent. I have his service WW1 records, no useful info on them.
            I thanks you all for the assistance.
            It is a long road to research as very little early info can be found.
            this has taken over 25 years to break this deadlock but will keep on searching.
            Many Thanks

Comment

I've found a Christening for a John Boyd 1853 NSW.

Parents John and Mary Boyd.

Parish....Bowenfels, Vale of Clwydd, (Rev Colin Stewart) Itinerant. Presbyterian.

Comment

do death certs for nsw have kids names on them? you could look at all john boyd deaths, to see if any are near your ancestors places of residence?

Comment

Depends on what the informant knows.........there should be all the children with names and ages as well as any who have died.

Comment

well, it would be a long shot, but he could look for all the deaths of the father john.

he could also look for likely wills to see if the family is mentioned?
                    a lot easier than looking for the right death.

Comment

I've found a Christening for a John Boyd 1853 NSW.
                      Parents John and Mary Boyd.
                      Parish....Bowenfels, Vale of Clwydd, (Rev Colin Stewart) Itinerant. Presbyterian.
                      this really got me excited years ago but wrong John. thanks for the help.

do death certs for nsw have kids names on them? you could look at all john boyd deaths, to see if any are near your ancestors places of residence?
                      Tried this method a few years ago hoping the would have familys names on them, while a good idea cost of AU$26 per certificate beat me.

he could also look for likely wills to see if the family is mentioned?
                      a lot easier than looking for the right death.
                      1896, these were early days in outback NSW. These people were so poor I doubt if they had anything left to write a will about.
                      But I did and will look again in this area.

While I may sound negative I have spent hundreds of computer hours search.
                      Also was kinda hopeing on this side some others were looking for similar Boyd research.
                      Just hopeing.
                      Many Thanks
                      Ron

Comment

Ron.......do you subscribe to the Australian Family Tree Magazine???

I have quite a lot of copies but am going away till Monday. I'll have a look when i get back. If you don't hear from me, could you pm me to remind me. I haven't been well and my memory is awful.

Comment

Have pm'd you. Not sure how much help it will be, but good luck.

Comment

Hi Libby.
                            Ron.......do you subscribe to the Australian Family Tree Magazine???

I have quite a lot of copies but am going away till Monday. I'll have a look when i get back. If you don't hear from me, could you pm me to remind me. I haven't been well and my memory is awful.
                            I have been a member for about 6 years or more and wrote several articles on looking for John (Nathan, john Henry) Boyd.
                            No luck!!
                            Thanks for the offer of help, hope you enjoy the easter break.
                            Cheerio
                            Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,
                              Iam tracing same family
                              Cheers Bec

Comment

Ron hasn't been on the site for some time, but if his email address is still current, he will receive private messages from you. To do this, you can click on Send Private Message under his name.
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Ron, Iam tracing same family have Eric boyd living in same town as Albert E Boyd -Bourke from 1930s until his death he was a woodcutter nsw bdm death: 23259/1952 BOYD ERIC JOHN EMMA BOURKE - Guessing he was born approx 1894 as he lived in same town as Albert. Cheers Bec.

Comment

thanks for the heads up Caroline -- Cheers Bec

Comment

Originally posted by rebex View Post
                                      Hi Ron, Iam tracing same family have Eric boyd living in same town as Albert E Boyd -Bourke from 1930s until his death he was a woodcutter nsw bdm death: 23259/1952 BOYD ERIC JOHN EMMA BOURKE - Guessing he was born approx 1894 as he lived in same town as Albert. Cheers Bec.
                                      Hi, rather interesting, I will have to go back over my records as I do not have him born to Emma Alberts Mother Emma (Vaughan).
                                      Can you tell me more of what you are researching

Comment

Check out but not ours unfortunatly

Comment

Working...
                                        X