possible stillborn question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible stillborn question

I have received the death certificate below. Although it says died in childbirth I have been unable to find an associated birth anywhere.

Is it likely that the child was stillborn? If so am I right in thinking there will be no publicly available records?

And its one of those co-incidences that the address for the death is about 5 doors away from where I'm currently sitting.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Barbara

I'm pretty sure someone on here said that if it's a stillbirth then the child isnt registered.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jules.

That could be why I was thinking it too.
      Barbara

Comment

Does it say "Died in Childbirth 11 days"? I can't quite make it out.

Would that mean she died 11 days after the birth? If so, it seems strange that it would be given as the cause of death, 11 days later. Or am I on the wrong track completely?

Edit: Just re-read the certificate and realised that it doesn't say "in Childbirth" so it must mean she died 11 days after the birth from heart failure.
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 08-04-09, 10:50.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thats how I read it Sue, but I'm not absolutely sure.

The top line says childbirth - 11 days and the second line says Cardiac failure.
          Barbara

Comment

There may be a burial record, my cousin sent my a couple of pages of burial records because they contained our relatives and there was stillborns listed on there.

Sylvia
            Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
            Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
            Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

thanks for that Sylvia, definitely something I hadn't thought of investigating.
              Barbara

Comment

Here's a site that gives details of what happens for a stillbirth
                Stillbirths - Stillbirths
                I had a look for one for someone recently and it was said that the hospital where it happened would have had records but they are only kept 20years. if it's a home birth then probably the only records as per the site.
                Margaret

Comment

Thanks for the link Margaret.

It definitely looks like a home birth so no hospital records to help/
                  Barbara

Comment

On other death certs I have obtained where it has given a number of days I have always took that to mean the amount of time the person suffered with whatever condition was associated with the death.
                    In this case she started childbirth 11 days ago and has now died of heart failure. Otherwise if she had not seen the doctor for heart failure previously or about anything recently there may have had to be a post mortem to establish the cause of death.
                    Margaret

Comment

thanks again Margaret. This is the first cert i've had with a number of days attached to it, so all help interpreting it is appreciated.
                      Barbara

Comment

Going on from Margaret's post, is it a possibility that the baby wasn't delivered and therefore no actual birth took place? Horrible to contemplate after 11 days, but not out of the question especially if no medical help was sought.
                        Helen
                        Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Its a thought Helen - even if its not a particulaly nice one.

The death seems to have been certified by W J Wood L R and P - wonder if he was some sort of doctor?
                          Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                            Its a thought Helen - even if its not a particulaly nice one.

The death seems to have been certified by W J Wood L R and P - wonder if he was some sort of doctor?
                            I think the initials are LRCP - Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians so yes, definitely a doctor.
                            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith
                              Barbara

Comment

Its a possibility that the doctor was only involved to certify the death i.e called after she had heart failure and died. In the days before the NHS any medical intervention cost money which a lot of families could ill afford. I remember reading an article about a caesarian delivery in 1940 and the cost. I can't remember the exact amount involved but I do remember thinking it was about a months wages.
                                Helen
                                Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Henderson View Post
                                  Its a possibility that the doctor was only involved to certify the death i.e called after she had heart failure and died. In the days before the NHS any medical intervention cost money which a lot of families could ill afford. I remember reading an article about a caesarian delivery in 1940 and the cost. I can't remember the exact amount involved but I do remember thinking it was about a months wages.
                                  yikes - beyond most ordinary folk then
                                  Barbara

Comment

It is possible that the baby wasn't delivered, although it mentions childbirth rather than labour.
                                    I have the death certificate of my G G grandmother who died 4 days after her daughter was born. The death certificate lists
                                    Atrophy of the heart...some years
                                    Exhaustion from labour ...4 days

The baby survived.

It is likely that if the baby in your family didn't survive, then the burial records for the mother might reveal some information.

Comment

Thanks Gwyn

I know she was buried in Whitwell, are the burial records likely to be at the County Records Office?
                                      Barbara

Comment

Scotlandspeople have just put up OPR burials and I've found one in June qtr 1833 of OH's rellies

With just his name and age 76

However on the page are

8 entries for "A child" of which 3 had "Dead born" next to them but nothing to give any idea of whose child it was.

1 vagrant - name unknown.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X