X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So that's why some parish records are missing

Was just reading in the rootsweb digests for scotland

that Cadder in Lanark 1797

that there was opposition to being called up for the Militia and mobs gathered and stole the parish records so no list could be compiled.

Did it happen elsewhere too?
    Last edited by JBee; 08-04-09, 10:06.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

If you manage to delve further back and the family events were in the Borders the Anglo-Scottish raids of the mid 1500's destroyed lots of churches and records, the worst raids destroyed entire hamlets and villages.

In some cases the parish never really recovered, the damaged churches often left as ruins, (Lennel and Simprim in Berwickshire for example) though others were so badly destroyed there are no remains left at all.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Redacted
      Last edited by Penelope; 08-04-09, 18:16.

Comment

Penelope

I have something similar. A Muster Roll compiled by the Vicar. Almost everyone on it was "an apprentice" - they couldn't take apprentices!

OC

Comment

I'd love to know more abotu researchign Napoleonic times, I don't understand enough about the militias, etc or how to trace who was operating where.

OC my husband remarked today that the only Scots names we have seen on local registers - the odd 'Alexander' and Mac- surnames, are in and after the 1640s, when Scots soldiers were indeed billetted here for a while.

I also found an odd entry in the back of a parish register for the 18thC re. a man who had run away (presumed to be a soldier) but not written or returned home for 7 years so the vicar - or whoever - was making a note to say the wife could consider him legally dead!

Comment

Working...
          X