Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walberton, West Sussex

Hi All,

If things go as planned, on Wednesday next week (15th April) I shall be at a loose end for several hours in this lovely old village while my wife participates in an art course.

I see from the GEDCOM that some forum members have rellies born there, and it occurs to me that some may also be buried there, and I would be willing to have a look for their gravestones and perhaps transcribe some of the inscriptions.

This is not something of which I have much experience, so have no idea how successful I would be - there are quite a lot of gravestones in the churchyard there - but if anyone likes to post or PM me names and dobs to look for I would certainly have a go. (April showers permitting, of course:D)

Roger

EDIT: Just realised that date of death, if known, would probably be more helpful than dob!
    Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 08-04-09, 09:11.

A generous offer, Roger, thank you

My OH GGgpa JAMES LIDBETTER was allegedly born there 1772.

I would be very interested in any LIDBETTER / LIDBITER / LIDBETER / LIBBETER etc interred, I know several were buried in Pulborough ... but many remain unknown.
    (I shall pray for sunny weather ;) )
    Bridget

Comment

Hi Bridget, duly noted. Keep praying!

Roger

Comment

Bumped in case missed.;)

Roger

Comment

What a lovely offer Roger, unfortunately I have no rellies buried there.

Comment

me neither, but hope you enjoy your visit.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Bump again;)
              Roger

Comment

hi roger

i just checked the wilki and i have a name from my husband side that was born there
                John Powell Walberton, Sussex 1853
                not sure if he would be bury there as they seem have kids in Shripney,

but the name i am interested in a sussex is ede and hellyer any spelling
                if you see anything of them i will be interested
                thanks for the offer
                hope you dont get wet and have a nice day
                dont worry if you cant find anything
                thanks
                karen
                wye surrey/london/birmingham
                lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Hi everybody,

I'm sorry, but I don't think I shall be able to look closely at the gravestones on Wednesday after all. Unfortunately I have hurt my back and I don't think it will be better enough by Wednesday to be peering around looking at the inscriptions, though I still expect to be in the village.

However, I will probably be there again while my wife attends other future meetings of the Art Society based there, and I will take note of your replies and hope to be able to look around then.

Sorry to disappoint (though of course there may not be any relevant inscriptions anyway!)

Roger

Comment

ok roger hope you back feel better soon
                    hope the weather is nice for you wander round the village
                    wye surrey/london/birmingham
                    lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                    hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                    ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                    herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                    armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Roger, do hope you you can find some relief from your discomfort very soon!
                      Also, hope the sun shines for you & you gain pleasure from the visit... take care.
                      Bridget

Comment

Just to resurrect (appropriate word ) my promise to look for graveyard inscriptions at Walberton, my wife has a further course there next Wednesday. My back is back to normal now (fingers crossed! ), so I expect to be available to have a look around while she is so engaged.

All being well I will look for the names mentioned above, and if anyone would like to add any names to the list before Wednesday, I will include them.

Roger

Comment

That's a generous offer, Roger.

I don't think I can dig out any names for you ;), but I wondered whether you mightn't find it useful to take digital photos, to which you can refer afterwards. That's not to replace an onsite transcription - there's never a guarantee that the photo will have got the detail you need - but as complementary to the transcription. If you do, then it might be worth trying to get the shots when the light's at an angle across the surface to get the maximum benefit of shadows.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that Christine. I'll take my camera, but will only be there 10 am to 3 pm, so can't be too choosy about the light.

Roger

Comment

Hi All,

Sorry, I shan't be going to Walberton tomorrow after all. Will try to get round to it one day, I promise.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                              X