help reading census writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help reading census writing

I'd appreciate your opinions on the enumerator's writing of my gt grandmother's relationship to her father Robinson Holden in the 1861 census for Bolton Lancs.She is Mary Holden (but here Fletcher) aged 6 born Bolton.Family Surname has been wrongly transcribed on Ancestry as "Halden".On her marriage cert in 1877 her father is Robinson Holden and her surname Holden too.I've enhanced the image of the census but can't decide if it looks like adoptd or step or something else but then I thought how could it be step as her parents already have an older daughter Phoebe aged 8.I really would value someone else's interpretation and have no one else to ask.By the way I've only just started research on the Holden side of my grandad's family but from family info when he was still alive had no inkling she wasn't a natural Holden!! Thanks all
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Looks like step daughter.
    Elaine

Comment

I'd say it says step daughter too Liz.

Could it be that Phoebe is Robinson's daughter from a previous marriage, Mary is Mary Ann's daughter either froma previous marriage or illegitimate, and George is the son of both Robinson and Mary Ann together?
      Jeanette
      Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Hmmmmm...it doesn't seem so does it?

There's a marriage for Robinson to a Mary Ann Young in 1850 and they seem to be this same pair in 1851 HO107; Piece: 2209; Folio: 152; Page: 39 mistranscribed as Holing
        Last edited by Jeanette In Yorkshire; 07-04-09, 19:48.
        Jeanette
        Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Jeanette.
          Yes Jeanette that is my Robinson Holden's marriage to Mary Ann Young in 1850 and I'd also found them newly married with no children in the 1851 census.If it is step daughter I need to research and find out how she fits in and trace her Fletcher line.This is quite a discovery as I had no idea she wasn't a blood Holden even though she takes the name by the time of her marriage.I'm sure my grandad never knew!Thanks for answering so quickly,OH is watching the united match so I've got a couple of hours to research!

Liz

Comment

Not much use in your present quest, but every Holden family who has a "Phoebe" has traced back to the Holdens of Darwen, and Phoebe Entwistle who married Holden in the 1600s.

Of course, this could be the exception to the rule! (If they also have a daughter Esther, then it's a dead cert)

OC

Comment

That's interesting oc as what I thought were my Holden line came from Darwen/over Darwen!!Haven't come across an Esther yet though.
              Liz

Comment

Give me some Darwen names to work with and I'll have a look at my Darwen tree - I have about 5,000 names on it now.

OC

Comment

Holdens from Darwen

Thanks OC that's very kind of you.
                  My grandad's maternal grandfather was Robinson Holden born c 1824 at Darwen.He was son of Thomas and Margaret Holden both born c 1792.Thomas was a calico printer and Robinson a cotton finisher in 1851 then watchman at cotton factory 1861 then tenter 1877.Robinson's siblings were Sarah b 1816,Elizabeth b 1820,Jane b 1822,Margaret b 1828,Harriet b 1830,Martha b 1833,Thomas b 1834.Robinson married Mary Ann Young 1850 at Bolton and the children were born there.
                  Thanks again OC hope this isn't too much trouble.Liz

Comment

Working...
                  X