What a find....it pays to google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a find....it pays to google

I'd been googling trying to see if I could find anything on my ggmother/father as they had both died virtually at the same time (certs are ordered to confirm) I was looking if there had been a fire/accident etc in Bacup at that time. What I did find was a totally unexpected gem of info. I'd come across this website by googling www.bacuptimes.co.uk which is very good if you have rellies from Bacup and Newchurch.
    This gem concerned my ggrandfather, he had died at an early age of 32, and when I got his DC did I find out that he had been crushed inbetween waggons at the quarry. What I did find from Bacuptimes was a newspaper account of his death which I have transcribed below.

Back Cowm Quarry 1908
    A man named Foy was crushed between two railway wagons, in shunting operations. He walked home with assistance, to Yate Street, Bacup and was seen by Dr. Brown, who found he was in such a serious condition that to move him to the infirmary would have brought about his death. He survived until seven o'clock that evening. At the inquest it was stated that the deceased had walked from Back Cowm quarry to Yate Street Bacup, in a condition as stated by his Doctor; the Coroner, in his summing up said:
    "Foy was a hard one".

Also there is a very good article on the life and times of the quarryman or "brownbacks" as they were called. The site is full of articles from that time so if you have rellies from there I would suggest you pay it a visit, it was certainly worth it to me to find out about my ggf and the kind of life they lead.

L

Not by googling but from the local newspaper

Jesse Vaux and Edward Vaux both deaths registered dec 1928

Thought strange how two brothers had died same time - perhaps accident in carpet factory.

Edward died on Tuesday evening of TB
    Jesse (after inquest) had heart attack Wednesday lunch time and died Wednesday evening

Well worth looking for obits as well s getting death certs,
    Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

poor chap - he must have a fantastic constitution!
      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Working...
      X