Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Census refs.

I've been sent a reference to the census but don't know how to use it:o

I'm using ancestry the new search option and just don't know where to put the info I've got.

I put the piece number in the registration district, then the folio in the subregistration district and the page number in household schedule number and that obviously isn't right.

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong

Thank you!
    Clare

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
    Can someone explain where I'm going wrong
    You are using the new search option!

I haven't found a way of putting a census reference into the new search option - not saying there isn't one but I can't see it!
    Go back to the old search option, pull up the search page for the year that you want, and you will see a box at the bottom of the search boxes where you can put the reference.
    Elaine

Comment

How do you get back to the old search option - was using the old system over the weekend but now only the new search facility seems to be available and no tab to revert back.

Comment

OK Thank you!!!

That took some finding!! It really wasn't easy, had to do a blank census search to get just just 1901 option and then it is there clear as day at the bottom.:D

If they are really going to get rid of the old search they need to add this option to the new search surely?
        Clare

Comment

Jane, if you click on the Search tab you should see the option to revert to the Old Search experience.

Elaine

Comment

In the search screen there is a funny flesh coloured bar near the top, before the picture, that says thanks for trying the new search and along from that it says switch back to old experience.

Elaine's explanation is much easier to understand!
            Clare

Comment

Clare, I know you are now able to customise your home page on Ancestry and add any links you want to. I have done this a couple of times and for some reason they have then disappeared overnight and I have had to start again.

I don't know what browser you use (I use Firefox) but what I have done is to find each page that I might want to use and have bookmarked it. With Firefox you can have bookmark folders on your tool bar - so most of my genealogy stuff is there. Have done a screenshot so you can see what I mean - I just click on whatever I want and go from there - saves me having to search Ancestry for it.

Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, yes I have found it probably too early in the morning for my eyes to be working properly

Comment

Originally posted by claretaylor22 View Post
                  If they are really going to get rid of the old search they need to add this option to the new search surely?

I agree with you. I've seen an ad on ancestry saying New Search coming soon or something like that, so I think they are probably planning to take the old search away altogether soon, and the new search doesn't seem to allow such specific information as the old one as far as I can see.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I seem to remember that someone who went to the recent WDYTYA show discussed this with the Ancestry representative - and was informed that the old search experience will be withdrawn at some time in the future! :(
                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X