X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Ancestor's Surname?

Redacted

Hi Penelope,

I would choose Armitage, the name which by rights should be my surname. My ggrandparents were unable to marry until they were in their 70's as ggrandad's first wife left him with a young son to raise, his wife went up to Scotland to live with a chap, and later ggrandad met ggrandmother, they set up home together, and had five children all of whom were given Armitage as a middle name but, were registered with their mother's surname. It wasn't until ggrandad's wife died, that he and ggrandmother were free to marry.

My mother's maiden name was Cock, needless to say I'm pleased my parents were married - I wouldn't have liked to have been saddled with that name. My maternal grandmother was named Cragg, I'm not too keen on that either.

Your story of how you came by your surname is interesting, I get envious when reading of other peoples family history intrigues, mine always seems reasonably straightforward, and boring by comparison.

Being a Yorkshire lass, I appreciate your Sydney Smith quote. :D

Comment

I always planned if I ever got round to writing my novel and getting it published (neither of which I've managed yet!) that I would use the surname Glasscodine, my great-grandmother's surname, because my Granny told me that that particular spelling of the name had completely died out, but now I have found out there are still a few living so maybe I wouldn't after all.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

a while ago I found some baptisms for babies abandoned by their parents. One was called Rose Milton as she was left in a lodging house in Milton Street and another child was given the surname Roads because she was left in the road!

I think I would pick the name of my gt gt gt grandfather Robert Chowns because
        a) its near the front of the alphabet and
        b) its quite unusual

I do get tired, every time I go to GP or hairdresser at having to give my address to differentiate me from 3 other people who have my name (and my sister-in-law also has it!)
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My mum's maiden name probably, altho any name in her side of my tree! :D

I got a bit upset recently when I realised I only have 4 Taylors in my tree; me my dad my sister and my grandfather who my dad never knew, I feel no connection to the name at all and despite all my efforts I've not got any further back. Maybe when I do I feel a bit more, ut it might also be that my surname is pretty common, perhaps you feel more affinity to a name if it's more unusual?
          Clare

Comment

You can have some of my OH's Taylors if you like, Clare! They give me no end of headaches!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'm quite happy with my maiden name thanks, though there are times its a disadvantage - I usually have to spell it for people, and being a bit unusual its also easier for people to find me :(
              (this can of course also have its advantages!)

My OH is a Smith & I think he'd probably change his to Attlebury which is his 2xgt grandmother's surname. Its all but died out here & I think he'd like to see it carry on.

Clare, my OH thinks he should really be a Taylor (long story)... they are connected to the Taylors who founded Taylor Woodrow & owned a lot of land around Culcheth (another done-out-of inheritance story lurking there!) I wonder if Taylor in that area would be easier to research than Smith LOL
              Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 07-04-09, 10:12.
              Vicky

Comment

Clare, I have lots of Taylors in my ancestry, living in west Yorkshire, but Robert Taylor came over the border from Lancashire in the 1850s, you can be my rellie if you want..:D

Comment

I am happy with my birth name of MADGWICK..Now i'm married it is different but I love my married name xx

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

Should I become a Nutter probably not.

I'd be happy to be a Crisp like my mum, and I might have been Mrs Chandler if OH's g g grandfather who was illegitimate but occasionally took his stepfather's name had stuck with it.

Comment

UI only read recently that Quentin Crisp was, in fact, Denis Pratt. So he's nto one of your's, Jill ands with a name like Pratt, you can see why he's change it...

Comment

All those years ago at school I just hated being way down the alphabet as my surname started with T. It was only when I started the family history that I discovered that I really should have had the surname Offield. Oh no!!!!....bangs head against the wall in frustration........:(

Comment

haha. i should be a fraser, or some weird sounding french name. instead the name i have is scottish, and my step grandad's name.

i would take my gran's name of dove, or her grandma's, westwick. i dont really like coates or gill. or pratt and powton either.

i do like dwyer and matheson. twyford is alright, but palmer and smith are too common. hehe, not too keen on my german surnames either!!

Comment

Dove is a lovely name!

Coates is one of mine too, but I haven't started looking at it yet. Mine are Yorkshire Dales.

I forgot too but another of mine is Threadgold. That's probably the prettiest name I got!

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                              UI only read recently that Quentin Crisp was, in fact, Denis Pratt. So he's nto one of your's, Jill ands with a name like Pratt, you can see why he's change it...
                              I'd hoped he was one of ours but soon found out he wasn't - grandad would have been outraged - no one as colourful among our Crisps.

Comment

I am very happy with my maiden name as it has a very long history in Ireland.

Janet

Comment

are the yorkshire dales reeth/muker/grinton area?
                                  my coates are from there. and all insist on common first names. and every one married a mary, which usually turns out to be a common surname as well.

Comment

Having dug around at the family tree,I have uncovered more skeleton's than I would care to touch with a 40 foot barge pole and I can't find anyone with more than 2 farthings to rub together. I'm not sure what surname should be but have now found some additional maiden names for mothers that could be useful in the case of identity fraud!

Comment

I like the surname Colwood. It is very rare, and everyone in the country with the surname is related to me (at least everyone I know of with the surname!). It is my maternal grandmother's maiden name.

I also like my great great grandmother's name of Davenport, and her grandmother's name of Ayre.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                                        and her grandmother's name of Ayre.
                                        related to libby's ariels?

Comment

Working...
                                        X