Where should I go next in my research of such a common name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I go next in my research of such a common name

Have now got my great aunt's marriage certificate in 1939 and Elizabeth Wilson is a witness (as she was for my grandparents), is she the mother or a much older sister. I also know that Arthur Wilson is a commercial traveller this time and at the time of the marriage of his daughter is deceased.

An Alfred Wilson is a witness, was he a brother or an uncle? As far as I know my Grandfather was born about 1890, I have been told it was in the Hull area but I am beginning to wonder now if this was a myth. Was Arthur Wilson married more than once, in which case who was wife number one?

There are lots of Alfred, Arthur, Thomas, Elizabeth and Ruth Wilson's, I just don't know where to start. Do any of these names appear pre 1911 census anywhere (not Ruth as we think she was born 1913 ish? I can't dig round myself as I can't afford £83 for the basic ancestry package ATM, as OH is jobless. Any help anyone is prepared to give me would be gratefully received.

Hiya Lorraine

I know this isnt any help but my last name is Wilson and all my lot are from Belfast and Wilson is probably the most common name there.
    I wish I had some Wilson's born in England but unfortunatley Im the only one.

To top it off my mother's maiden name is Walsh and all that side of the family are from Dublin which again is one of the most common names there.

I have so far got back to early 1800's but thats about as far as Im likely to go with them.

Sorry to waffle on but as your's are from England I reckon you will get much further than me.

Good luck

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

I'm a bit confused Lorraine - what are you trying to achieve? Are you wanting to go backwards, or forwards?

If you want to go backwards, then give us the names of your grandparents from their marriage cert, which will also have THEIR father's names and occupations. We should then be able to find them on the 1901 census.

OC

Comment

Hi OCH

I am trying to work backwards honest but my grandparents marriage certificate also has a lot of common names and therefore I got the marriage certificate of the younger sister, thinking it might give more information.

My grandparents marriage certificate shows:

Thomas Wilson 28 Grocer Arthur Wilson who was a traveller
        m
        Lilias Helen Smith 24 Albert Smith who was a boot maker (he was born in Capel, Surrey) his daughter in Leatherhead

My great aunts marriage certificate shows:

Frederick Tate 30
        m
        Ruth Enid Wilson 27 rest of detail as above

From this we now know that Fred was born in 1909 in Nottingham
        Ruth was born around 1912 but we still don't know precisely where.

I was told that my grandfather was the eldest of eight children but I can only account for two definates, possibly a third if you count Alfred Wilson. The problem I am having is sorting out the myth from the fact. My grandfather died in the 1950s in London (Thomas) but there again Thomas Wilson is common name.

Also forgot to add that I don't know who Elizabeth Wilson is, whether she is Ruth and Thomas' mother or sister but is witness at both weddings.
        Last edited by LorraineJ; 06-04-09, 19:06.

Comment

its the only Ruth Enid birth that comes up.
          Have you eliminated it?

Births Sep 1906
          Wilson Ruth Enid Skirlaugh 9d 345

The district Skirlaugh is in the county of East Riding of Yorkshire

( How do we know Fred was born in Nottingham?)
          Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
            its the only Ruth Enid birth that comes up.
            Have you eliminated it?

Births Sep 1906
            Wilson Ruth Enid Skirlaugh 9d 345

The district Skirlaugh is in the county of East Riding of Yorkshire

( How do we know Fred was born in Nottingham?)

I don't think that Ruth Enid is the right one as she was born 6 years too early. Is it possible that Enid has been wrongly transcribed and her middle name was Elizabeth? Merry did find a birth of a Ruth E Wilson in around 1912, mothers name Wilson and this matches with a death of Ruth E Tate in the 1970s. I know from a newspaper cutting this has to be the right marriage as Frederick Tate was well known in Speedway in the 1930s until his near fatal crash in 1936. Looking at listings there are a lot of Frederick Tate's born around 1909 in the Nottinghamshire/Derby area. His father was a steelworker and was also called Frederick.

Comment

Lorraine, from 1911 onwards the full middle name is not given in the GRO's birth index, only the middle initial, because they had to make room for the mother's maiden name. So if it says Ruth E Wilson in the birth index for any post-1911 birth it could be Ruth Enid. The problem is working out which is the right Ruth E Wilson birth as there are so many. The only reason Merry thought it might be that particular one (which I can't find in the index now; Merry said it was Oct-Dec 1913) is because she found a possible Ruth Elizabeth Tate death with birth date Sep 1913. But since we now know that Ruth's middle name was Enid, not Elizabeth, that doesn't look likely to be the right death entry.

Can you give me Ruth's address from the marriage certificate, please? I should be able to look it up and find out who else was living there around that time, although it might not be for a couple of weeks because the kids are off school on their holidays at the moment.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                I'm a bit confused Lorraine - what are you trying to achieve? Are you wanting to go backwards, or forwards?

If you want to go backwards, then give us the names of your grandparents from their marriage cert, which will also have THEIR father's names and occupations. We should then be able to find them on the 1901 census.

OC
                OC, the problem is all the names involved are such common ones that we need more information to be able to start looking!

This is the previous thread about them:
                http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...lp-please.html
                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                  Lorraine, from 1911 onwards the full middle name is not given in the GRO's birth index, only the middle initial, because they had to make room for the mother's maiden name. So if it says Ruth E Wilson in the birth index for any post-1911 birth it could be Ruth Enid. The problem is working out which is the right Ruth E Wilson birth as there are so many. The only reason Merry thought it might be that particular one (which I can't find in the index now; Merry said it was Oct-Dec 1913) is because she found a possible Ruth Elizabeth Tate death with birth date Sep 1913. But since we now know that Ruth's middle name was Enid, not Elizabeth, that doesn't look likely to be the right death entry.

Can you give me Ruth's address from the marriage certificate, please? I should be able to look it up and find out who else was living there around that time, although it might not be for a couple of weeks because the kids are off school on their holidays at the moment.

Hi Kiterunner

The address on the certificate is:

Kroonkello, London Road (presumably Derby) as Fred is also registered as living at Kroonkelo, 20 Sinfin Lane, Sunshine Estate, Derby.

Comment

Oh sorry, I was expecting her to be living in Nottinghamshire, if she was in Derby I don't think I can look it up after all. I thought the marriage was in Nottinghamshire but must have confused it with another one!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Having checked, the marriage was registered in East Retford district, which would be Nottinghamshire, so can you tell me where exactly they got married? Maybe it will turn out to be somewhere that has (or had) a London Road!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Yes, they got married in St Albans Church in the Parish of Ordsall in the County of Nottinghamshire.

An R Wilkinson was the Rector.

Comment

A quick google suggests there is indeed a London Road in Ordsall, so when I get a chance to go to Notts Archives I will see if they have Ordsall electoral rolls for the 1930's and 40's and see who was there.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                            A quick google suggests there is indeed a London Road in Ordsall, so when I get a chance to go to Notts Archives I will see if they have Ordsall electoral rolls for the 1930's and 40's and see who was there.
                            That would be wonderful if you can find something out. I know that Fred worked for the Long Eaton racing track as a Manager in the 1950s, so that may mean that he was resident in the area a while.

Also while I still had access to Ancestry, on the off chance I printed off the Frederick Tate births and the two most likely father and sons are 1870 and 1910 both registered in North Bierley. I now know Frederick senior was a steel worker but that is all.

Comment

Working...
                            X