Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JPEG resizing for emails, HELP wanted please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPEG resizing for emails, HELP wanted please!

I now have a new All-in-on scanner/printer, Epsom SX205 and my computer has Vista but I'm still having trouble with sending emails and attaching JPEG documents, EG Birth and Marriage certificates.

The size that they get saved as in 'my pictures' is 2.44MB or 2.29MB.

Is there any free software that will save them as a small size? Or can anbody recommend anything else that I can use?

My original computer was XP and pictures and docs were saved as JPEGs but much smaller. eg. 174KB for a picture and 144KB for a BDM certificate.
    teresa

What do you use to view the images?

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager and under the 'Edit pictures' option you can choose 'Compress Pictures'. You then get a choice of how much you want to compress them (for email, documents or web pages)

If you want to keep the image at the original size on your computer, copy it first and compress the copy.
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks for that Jackie.
      teresa

Comment

You can download Gimp for free. It's a fully featured image editting program and, like similar commercial progs, will resize images for you as well as much else.

Comment

I agree with Night Owl but I also use the same programme but under Images I just use resize and select the smallest possible.
          I think the one I find easier is MS Paint that maybe hidden under Accessories. I open MS Paint, select NEW and then select Image and Resize. I then select 25% and SAVE AS so if the image has a name or number Save As 222(1) and that will give you a copy to identify it.
          When I open my email which in my case is often later I then browse Pictures and click on the image with (1)
          I have never been sucessful in sending it direct from either program for some reason it just sits in my outbox.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

I view my images under the programme that came with the printer…an Epsom Stylus SX205.
            I can’t find anything on my computer under’ Accessories’ that might help to resize an image. Can’t even see how to compress either!

So I think Dugless might have the answer.

But where do I find this Gimp thingy?

Sorry to be so thick..but I’m always a bit wary when I goggle things and don’t know how I can tell if I have selected the correct one.

There are loads of websites about Gimp downloads and to be honest I don’t understand what some of them are talking about!

I just want to be able to downsize an existing JPEG image from MB’s to KB’s

A. So that they don’t take up so much space on my computer.

B. So that I can email more than one image of a photo and/or certificate at a time to my relatives/fellow researches.

It was sooo much easier when I had my old XP Computer.
            teresa

Comment

Gimp. Just click on the Download link, teresa.

If you dopn't want to download any software, you could try pic rezize. Just click on Browse, select your photo, click on Continue, specify the size you want, then save it again.
              Last edited by lorry53; 09-04-09, 20:11.
              Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

pic resize. doesn't work as it say it won't accept extensions. I assume that is because I have named each 'image' relating to a particular certificate saved in 'my pictures'.

Which version of gimp do you recommend..there are so many to choose from.

Sorry to be such a pain!
                teresa

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
                  pic resize. doesn't work as it say it won't accept extensions. I assume that is because I have named each 'image' relating to a particular certificate saved in 'my pictures'.
                  I'm not sure what you mean by this, Teresa. If your image files are JPEG, i.e. .jpg, it should accept them.
                  Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
                  Which version of gimp do you recommend..there are so many to choose from.

Sorry to be such a pain!
                  I don't use it myself, but the latest version is probably the best to go for - 2.6.5. And you're not a pain.
                  Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Teresa, I just had a bit of a search for image resizing freeware and found Fotosizer, which looks to be pretty easy to use.

Comment

Teresea, If you have been used to XP you should be able to find MS Paint easily. Go to the football start button at the bottom of the screen. Click, then on the second line above this football click on All Programmes, this is where most people will find Accessories listed, click on this and you will have to scroll down the list to find PAINT as it is now known. You can use your mouse which will give you the option to PIN this programme to the start menu for easy use.
                      If you still cannot find Paint use the search line after you have clicked on the football and just type the word into that and it should appear.

I have just had a look at Pic-rezize and found it easy to use.
                      Last edited by Margaret N; 09-04-09, 22:42.
                      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Lorry,
                        I found Pic-rezize easy to use but it looked as if one needs another programme to increase the size of the image. So does the person receiving the image have to have the same programme.
                        There is alot of mention about free trials - so do we have to pay for either programme?
                        The main interest for me is that I can add TEXT to the Image.
                        I used to use Phototagger but if friends did not have the programme they could not view the text.
                        Any advice appreciated.
                        Margaret N

Comment

Margaret,

Do you mean how can the recipient enlarge an image you've sent? Once you reduce the size of an image, you can't enlarge it again to the same quality/sharpness as the original.

By reducing the size of the image, you're also reducing the size of the file and the quality/pixels in it. So when you try to enlarge that image, it will be more pixellated than the original (although there are some programs that can smooth out this pixellation, they can't restore the data lost by reducing the image & file size).

Rachel's comparison in this thread is a good example of the pixellation that occurs when a smaller image size is enlarged back to 'original' size: http://www.familytreeforum.com/famil...ml#post1648265
                          Sarah

Comment

Here are some more resizing options:

This link explains how to reduce picture/attachment size in Outlook 2007 and in Windows Explorer (in both Vista and XP):
                            Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

The resize option is also available in Outlook 2003 by clicking on "Attachment Options" to the right of the Attachment box in the message header (under To, Cc, Subject).

In Vista, you can also resize and send images from Windows Photo Gallery in much the same way as resizing and sending from Windows Explorer (as explained in the link above). When viewing a photo in Windows Photo Gallery, click on the E-mail tab at the top of the screen, then select the picture size you wish to send, and then click on Attach. If you're viewing a single photo taking up the whole screen and you wish to send more than one photo, click on "Go to Gallery" in the upper left-hand corner first and then you can select multiple photos by holding down the Ctrl key as you click on them, before clicking on the E-mail tab at the top of the screen.

How to resize pictures in XP: How To Email Optimized Pictures From Windows XP

Using Image Resizer in XP: Resize digital pictures quickly
                            Last edited by Cloggie; 10-04-09, 05:20.
                            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
                              Lorry,
                              I found Pic-rezize easy to use but it looked as if one needs another programme to increase the size of the image. So does the person receiving the image have to have the same programme.
                              There is alot of mention about free trials - so do we have to pay for either programme?
                              The main interest for me is that I can add TEXT to the Image.
                              I used to use Phototagger but if friends did not have the programme they could not view the text.
                              Any advice appreciated.
                              As Cloggie states, increasing the size of the reduced image will affect the quality. If "free trial" is mentioned anywhere, it is just that - free for a trial period only. If you want totally free software, you need to look for "freeware." There are a few freeware image resizers listed here. You can add text to an image using Paint, but it's not very flexible. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy software. :D Of course, there may be others here who have found free, easy to use image editing software.

Comment

PhotoFiltre is free and offers more options than Paint.
                                You can download the free version of PhotoFiltre here: Graphisme et utilitaires
                                This is not to be confused with the paid version called PhotoFiltre Studio which offers a 30-day free trial.
                                There are also some fun freeware programs available on the PhotoFiltre Studio site, which allow you to create things like photomosaics and reflection animations
                                Last edited by Cloggie; 10-04-09, 08:12.
                                Sarah

Comment

If you want to have MSPaint as a desktop icon, right click on your desktop, then go through the procedure to create a shortcut.

Stick the following line in for the target programme:

%SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe

and when asked give your shortcut a name (eg. MSPaint).

This way everytime you want to run MSPaint you can just double click on the desktop icon you've created.

Sorry my explanation isn't any better but I'm not too sure exactly what the translation is from my Japanese system to English. I'm sure someone could help out though.

:D:D

Comment

Try Picassa, just download it from file hippo.It's easy to view and manipulate pics and there is a facility to email them with one click, picassa does the resizing. I have also uploaded my docs to the Picassa web album and sent links to the people I want to read them. It is very easy to use and free.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                                      Sorry my explanation isn't any better but I'm not too sure exactly what the translation is from my Japanese system to English. I'm sure someone could help out though.
                                      Sounds OK to me, John.

A little off-topic, but an easy way to create a desktop shortcut for any programme is to find it in Start/All Programs, then right-click on it and choose Send To > Desktop.

Comment

Hi John, Always refering to your useful notes that have helped so many of us.

Thank you all for so many idea's regarding photo programmes. I use MS Paint, Photo Gallery and most of all Picasa. I would just like to be able to add Text to my images but you can't have it all when you want it for free.
                                        Happy Easter,
                                        Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                                        X