Irish Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Records

I'm just getting to the stage where I need to look at Irish records. Noting on ancestry seems to help. Can anyone please tell me where to begin. Marriage, birth etc. Trouble is I don't know which county to look at. One ancestor was a policman before coming to the UK, would this be a starting place do you think?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Hi Jules,

Without knowing where in Ireland your ancestors came from it is hard to suggest a starting place, but there are lots of Irish links in the Wiki: Ireland - Family Tree Forum (see also Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, and the individual county links)

Also, the LDS have recently put the Irish civil registration BMD indexes online here: FamilySearch Record Search
    For more information and search tips, see this thread: http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...n-indexes.html

The 1911 census is being put online in phases: National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911
    (currently only counties Antrim, Down, Dublin and Kerry)

This link might be useful with your ancestor being a policeman: Garda Síochána Historical Society
    Last edited by Cloggie; 06-04-09, 11:18.
    Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
      I'm just getting to the stage where I need to look at Irish records. Noting on ancestry seems to help. Can anyone please tell me where to begin. Marriage, birth etc. Trouble is I don't know which county to look at. One ancestor was a policman before coming to the UK, would this be a starting place do you think?
      Without knowing where in Ireland they came from it's going to prove difficult. I'm assuming that your are referring to the surname of Fitzgerald, a very popular name in Ireland!

If you know when approx the person was born, and you know his/her parents namesmight find something on the IGI records on the LDS website.
      FamilySearch.org - Search

If you find a record that matches what you are looking for and it's an Extracted record then you can order a certificate from Ireland.

Below are the 2 websites for ordering certificates. Have a read of what they say about registrations and when they began as it might help you to understand whether you are likely to obtain any certificates or not.

General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

The General Register Office Ireland :: An tSeirbhís um Chlárú Sibhialta For Southern Ireland (Eire)

Irish Civil Registrations are in the process of being transcribed and are available to search the LDS Pilot website below. But again you would need to know what County in Ireland to search for a record.

FamilySearch Record Search

Hope this helps.
      teresa

Comment

Thanks to you both. Appreciate you taking the time to the replies together.

I'll have a look at the links.

xx
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

What about immigration from Ireland? I believe they came from Southern Ireland. Their eldest child was born in London 1867, but the parents were definately born in Ireland... life would have been easier if they had stated where exactly on the census forms instead of just Ireland!!
          Jules

Comment

jules, did they make it to 1911?

Comment

What period did they come to England? Are we talking about the Royal Irish Constabulary? There are about 250 FITZGERALDs who were in the RIC: their records are held at Kew. The LDS also have them.

If you have a Christian name & a rough period I may be able to tell you which film the details are on.
              Last edited by Oakum Picker; 06-04-09, 11:38. Reason: Additional info.
              Glen

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                jules, did they make it to 1911?
                I'm not sure at the moment, I am off to Kew in the next few weeks so I will hopefully find that out.

William (1845) and Ellen had a son William (1867) who married Mary Ann (1867), William 1867 is shown as deceased on my grandfathers birth cert David Charles (1905), but I have spotted a Mary Ann on the 1911.

I've spotted Ellen Fitzgerald on 1911, will check that when I go to Kew.
                Jules

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                  What period did they come to England? Are we talking about the Royal Irish Constabulary? There are about 250 FITZGERALDs who were in the RIC: their records are held at Kew. The LDS also have them.

If you have a Christian name & a rough period I may be able to tell you which film the details are on.

I can't find a marriage for them so I'm guessing they came as a married couple. They were born 1845 and had their first son here in 1867, that's as close as I've got at the moment.

This family (MY family) have been driving me mad for years, this is as far as I've got.

The sort of thing I'm up against is the 1901 census had a William and Mary Fitzgerald, but their children were names as 1, 2, 3, 4 !!!!! Not much help huh

I've just looked again at what I've got and actually thinking about it, I have no evidence that he was a policeman in Ireland, it was on his son's birth cert that it stated it, and that was here.
                  Jules

Comment

someone on here got lucky when they're ancestors survived to 1911, they had said the county they were born in.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      someone on here got lucky when they're ancestors survived to 1911, they had said the county they were born in.
                      That would be the icing on the cake. I need a break like that.
                      Jules

Comment

Ric

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
                        I've just looked again at what I've got and actually thinking about it, I have no evidence that he was a policeman in Ireland, it was on his son's birth cert that it stated it, and that was here.
                        Looking at their birth dates it seems unlikely he was RIC.
                        You had to be 19 (18 if a son of a member) & had to serve 7 years before being given permission to marry
                        Last edited by Oakum Picker; 06-04-09, 12:06. Reason: Tying to get the 'quote' to display correctly
                        Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                          Looking at their birth dates it seems unlikely he was RIC.
                          You had to be 19 (18 if a son of a member) & had to serve 7 years before being given permission to marry
                          Hmm that doesn't equate does it. I might have to look at alternatives. I will see what sort of documents Kew have, maybe they can point me in the right direction to get his police service record, that might even say what his experience was when he joined up.

thanks Glen
                          Jules

Comment

Born 1847 is going to be Parish Records either RC or Protestant. A marriage of 1867 just creeps into Irish Statutory Records which for RC is 1864 but for Protestant is going to be slightly earlier.

To be honest unless you can find out more than Fitzgerald, Ireland then you have an uphill battle to find anything. There are no passenger lists for crossings between England and Ireland as Ireland was part of the UK until 1922.

For successful Irish Tracing you need to have some knowledge as to the area of Ireland your ancestors came from and whether they were protestant or catholic.

If he was a member of the RIC then these details are available at Kew as has already been said. The RIC was established 1836 and disbanded 30 August 1922.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 06-04-09, 13:09.

Comment

Thanks Janet. You have no idea how much I wish I had more info. I'm amazed I've got this far to be honest. I'm pretty sure they would have been catholic, as my dad and his parents are/were.

Thanks for the bits of info
                              Jules

Comment

Working...
                              X