Francis Edward Walduck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francis Edward Walduck

Good morning, I am trying to find the father of my father.
    My father Francis Edward Walduck, was born in Drayton Parslow Buckinghamshire in 1901, but on his birth certificate there is no father mentioned.
    I believe that his mother, my grandmother , had some kind of affair in her younger days, an activity of which was frowned upon in those days. I have spoken to one or two of the elder villagers of Drayton Parslow about 5 years ago who remembered my grandmother and was told point blank to "leave things be, I did not want to know".
    So something went on and I DO want to know.
    My father was killed in 1950, he was an ambulance man in Coventry and was killed on duty.

Peter.

If it's not on the birth cert, and no-one will tell you, I'm not sure you will ever find out. I don't even know what direction to point you in. Maybe go back to the village if you can and ask them again. Try a different approach and tell them you need to know your heritage. Good luck Peter.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

you could be quite scandalous and say you need to know for medical reasons.

Comment

Peter

When someone tells you that, it makes you more determined to investigate doesnt it
        Pam

Comment

Dont know how you are going to find out, Shouldnt think there is anything written down. You could do as Kyle suggests and approach the older people again saying you are concerned about a medical problem :o

Are there any other family members, cousins etc. who may have information.
          Pam

Comment

Peter

Welcome to FTF.

Do you know what kind of circumstances your grandfather grew up in? Extreme poverty? Reasonably comfortable?

If the latter then someone may have been paying maintenance for his upkeep. This could have been done through the local magistrate's court, although the fact that you have been warned off, suggests it wasn't as straightforward as that and any financial arrangements may have been private ones.

Where do his two forenames come from? Are Francis and Edward family names that you know of?

OC

Comment

Are you sure it was 1901? There's a matching birth on FreeBMD in 1905.

As the others say, the chances of finding out who the father was are minimal, I'm afraid.

However, it might be worth looking for a baptism - very occasionally the father's name is entered in the baptism register even if it isn't on the birth certificate. It's a very long shot, though.

Comment

I sounds as though some of those old residents of the village may know some rumours about your father's birth. They may be right in saying 'you don't want to know' - have you considered all the awful possiblities apart from an 'affair'.

However, as has been said, to be denied any information makes you all the more determined to find out. I wonder if any of those you spoke to would answer a letter if you wrote? They might have felt uncomfortable talking about the 'scandal' face to face. However, human nature being what it is, someone might want to break silence in writing.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                X