Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with Essex parish registers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with Essex parish registers?

I am after some birth details of my husbands 2 x gt grandmother and her sisters. According to all census records they're in, they were born in Elsenham, Essex. I have a record of their parents William Ball and Maria Huntfield (or Hunfield) being married in St Mary's church in Elsenham 29 September 1832 however have been unable to find birth records of their children, apart from their last child, a son, Henry Ball. This is because Henry was registered with the surname BALLS.

After ordering Henrys birth certificate and confirming it was the correct guy, I then started doing a BALLS search for the girls. Searched Bishops Stortford (where Henrys birth was registered) and neighbouring districts and parishes - nothing.

If someone out there can help with parish registers (I figure this is the next best thing), I would really appreciate it. As I am in Australia, its a little hard to get to the record office myself ;)

Sarah Louisa BALL - born abt 1837, Elsenham, Essex
    Maria BALL - born abt 1838, Elsenham, Essex
    Mary Ann BALL - born abt 1839, Elsenham, Essex (there is a birth record for a Mary Ann Ball in Bishops Stortford, Ive purchased the certificate, its the wrong girl)

I know that it wasnt compulsory to register births in the early reg years....can make it quite hard for us! :p

Many thanks in advance

Hi Vee.................Welcome to FTF.

I have had trouble with Essex as well. They don't seem to like others knowing their business...lol

Along the top of this page you will see a blue line. Click on "The Wiki" and go to the Main Page (the top option) then the World Index. Work your way through there till you get to England, Essex and check it out. I'm sure there is some help there.

You will probably have to wait till tonight (our time) to get anyone in the UK.

Hope that helps......

Comment

Here you are......just found it...

Essex - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Hi
        You may find this site helpful, its not just the 1841 census

Essex 1841 census genealogy and miscellaneous parish records, births, christenings, marriages and deaths

Comment

Hi Vee,

Bishops Stortford actually comes under Hertfordshire, although Elsenham is Essex.

Unfortunately, none of the LDS films for Bishops Stortford listed in their catalogue covers the period of baptisms that you need.

It may be that someone near Hertford Record Office or planning to vist might be able to do a look up for you.

Carol

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated :0)

Comment

Working...
            X