Always check census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always check census

Yesterday I was looking at a 1911 census and on it states amount of children, born, living and died.

Always take a good look at this info so that you can see if any siblings had passed away between census. I wish it had been the same on all census.
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

If only, if only! lol

My only problem with the 1911 census is that the questions were a bit hard for my relatives, and/or they were worried about what the enumerator would think. Several have children from a previous marriage still at home so haven't wanted to say their current marriage was only a few years, so have given the length of their original marriage to date. One lady had at least nine children, with a big gap between 1889 and 1898. I bought the census page to see if she said she had lost any children but she doesn't admit to having any more children than the four in her house on the 1911 census night :(

Comment

Originally posted by benny1982
      Hi

Yes definately.

I wish that the census entries gave the censusee's parents birthplaces from 1851 onwards as well at their own birthplace. If only.

Ben

If the parents were in the house their birthplace would be given.
      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

I hate it when prior to 1911 if children were born and died between census.
        Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

I also hate it when a mother gives her only child's place of birth incorrectly. You'd think she would know wouldn't you?????:(:(

Luckily I had them on the 1901 census though years of marriage doesn't help when I still can't find a marriage.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Sometimes even widows and widowers, and married men, filled in the length of marriage and number of children columns although it was meant to be for marrie women only. The numbers will have been crossed out but are usually still legible. The only trouble is, if you are really hoping for one such person to have filled it in, they won't have!

I found out from those columns that my great-grandparents had a child who died that we never knew about, but finding that out has just led to frustration because they had such a common surname that it would cost a fortune to order all the possible death certificates to see who the child was.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              Sometimes even widows and widowers, and married men, filled in the length of marriage and number of children columns although it was meant to be for marrie women only. The numbers will have been crossed out but are usually still legible. The only trouble is, if you are really hoping for one such person to have filled it in, they won't have!

I found out from those columns that my great-grandparents had a child who died that we never knew about, but finding that out has just led to frustration because they had such a common surname that it would cost a fortune to order all the possible death certificates to see who the child was.
              Tell me about it.

As I have not found Richard Woods birth I plumped for his eldest sister Mary Ellen. Yes there are loads of them too. Saying that with the parents names and ages on previous census I actually found her. I then traced her through the census. On the 1911 she was aged 40, married 20 years having had 4 children, 3 alive and 1 died.

I then searched the 1901 and the 3rd and 4th child was not listed. So what was the 3 child called? If you can work this out congratulations.

Sydney was 8 on the 1911 and could have been Sidney George Owen or Sydney Peach Owen. They third was/is a mystery.
              Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

Thank goodness I knew about them!

On the 1911 census my G Grandfather only listed one son, the one still living at home. He actually had another nine children, two had died, all the others were working and living elsewhere. I'm glad I wasn't depending on that census for a start as I was with the 1901 census.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

Oh, but even that tantalising information can help.

I met up with my elderly uncle and aunt yesterday and showed them the 1911 census for his mother (my grandmother) and her parents.

Parents declare "three children of the marriage, two living, one dead"

"AH!" said Uncle "I've remembered now, my mother said she had a baby brother who died from whooping cough when he was about two. She missed him dreadfully because she was his "little mother."""

Well, there are thousands of births in that surname, but at least I now know I'm looking for a BOY, younger than my Granny, lol.

OC

Comment

I downloaded my great grandfather's sister's 1911 entry today, she was a hotel proprietor, I grudgingly paid for the second page too and up popped her aunt - last spotted unmarried in 1851 - listed after the guests (but before the staff) having married & had and buried 3 children.

Comment

I found some distant rellies of my husband with a pageful of children, whose ages didn't make sense, ie one was 6 weeks, one 10 weeks old etc, then I realised they'd put all their children and put the ages at which all had died! Heartbreaking but at least I knew which births were for this family in the GRO index.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Fi & Lilly View Post
                        Yesterday I was looking at a 1911 census and on it states amount of children, born, living and died.

Always take a good look at this info so that you can see if any siblings had passed away between census. I wish it had been the same on all census.
                        I had my first venture into the 1911 census yesterday. I paid to view a 'transcript' rather than original... delighted with the result but I have no mention of children born, living and died.... is this on original document only or am I missing something?
                        John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

the transcript is the same you'd get from ancestry before you click 'view image'
                          it basically tells you about the family on the census page.

to get those details you need to view the actual image.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            the transcript is the same you'd get from ancestry before you click 'view image'
                            it basically tells you about the family on the census page.

to get those details you need to view the actual image.
                            Thank you very much for that... serves me right for being tight and spending just 10 credits instead of 30! But this is great news.
                            Just out of interest the places of birth for my brickwall in Ireland on this transcript says born in Waterford for William Carroll and Roscommon for his wife Winifred (Dean(e)) previously unknown... I gather this is the County rather than the city? Sorry to slip this unrelated Q in but save starting a new Q for a simple answer.
                            John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

I think I had a very luck find on the 1911 Census. My Great Grandfather and his family were visiting his Mother and brother (it helped me move up My tree).

It seems the brother was the one that wrote the Census out (lovely handwriting). it said the Mother had 3 children, one died. She in fact had 4 children and 2 died. The poor child died aged 2 and years before the other sons were born....she probably keep it quiet because he was illegitimate.

The Mother also gave the amount of years she was married even though she was widowed very early on in her marriage, but it gave me a starting point to find her wedding cert....which I found. yeppie.
                              Last edited by Tralena; 06-04-09, 08:32.

Comment

im not sure john. there is a county called waterford and a city isn't there?
                                and what about the 'previousely unknown' about the wife? does that refer to her birthplace?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                  im not sure john. there is a county called waterford and a city isn't there?
                                  and what about the 'previousely unknown' about the wife? does that refer to her birthplace?
                                  All I had before reading the 1911 census for both my G.Grandparents was both B Ireland.... Now I have Waterford and Roscommon. Both are counties and cities... so I was wondering if it is the normal thing on the new census to record the County of birth or be more specific in naming a town or village or city in Ireland?
                                  John

Comment

from what i've seen on the census, you usually just get 'ireland'.
                                    so i would say you know have the county they came from.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking... but I am a step closer, thank you
                                      John

Comment

Working...
                                      X