6 possible Marriage Certs. Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 possible Marriage Certs. Advice please

I am trying to fill in some blanks on my tree. One is Margaret Carroll b 1897 in West Derby, Lancs (Liverpool) She shows on the 1901 Census aged 4. I am presuming that she married (first mistake) and I have searched from 1914 to 1924. I am presuming that she would have married in West Derby as all the other females in her family did (second mistake) I have found 6 possibles.
    I know her parents names and occupations.
    I have never ordered a marriage certificate without knowing who the spouse was. The only way I will know is hopefully re fathers name, occupation, witnesses etc that will show on the right cert.
    Do I order certs one at a time and take a chance via online GRO or can someone suggest another way to narrow it down? I am 30 minutes from Liverpool.
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

firstly John...West Derby was a district office in Liverpool where certs were issued....my family are from Garston...registered West Derby...which is 5/6 miles away...I don`t know whether this helps but....MY CERTS on Lancashirebmd.org.uk have MORE info...for instance mine will state
    Daniel Oakes marriage to Marianne Merrick in 1874....check it out and it states WEST DERBY...but then look at the next info...WAVERTREE,ST MICHAELS.....SO THAT TELLS YOU THEY MARRIED IN THE DIOCESE OF WAVERTREE AT ST MICHAELS....the only St Michaels is...St Michaels Garston....so I know if I see a marriage for Oakes ...I look for the EXTRA info...ie the church....hope this helps...if I can Help ,PM me and I`ll check through Lancsbmd with you....regards...allan;)
    Last edited by garstonite; 05-04-09, 10:04.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hiya John...where did you get the year for Margaret ...b 1897 ? ...
      on Lancsbmd b 1896 Margaret M Carroll ..West Derby Rural
      -Ref NO WDR/36/35.....If this IS your Margaret ...the middle name initial M may narrow it down..
      marriage to George H Murphy in 1920 at West Derby RO ref No WD/337/115...Speculation ,but I can`t see any other Margaret Carroll b around 1897 in LIVERPOOL,WEST DERBY.........allan
      Last edited by garstonite; 05-04-09, 10:14.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

A great help Alan... that was on my list. I reckon this could be number 1 to check out. All the other certs I have applied for reveal a middle name for the females.
        The DOB is within a year from the 1901 census.
        I have just this minute paid and viewed the 1911 census, she shows up aged 14.
        Even more exciting is after over 20 years of serching by my mother, then me I have found my G Grandfather William Carroll was born in Waterford and was married 32 years earlier from the 1911 census. The family rumour was he came from Mayo... so at last I have something to work on!
        Thanks for your help Allan.... that site is very handy.
        John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Hi John..a CARROLL FROM IRELAND and IN LIVERPOOL....ha ha...the best of luck mate...you`re gonna need it ...LOL....allan:D:D:D

Comment

John

You have two options for where you can obtain the certificate(s), the GRO or the local (to the event) register office.

GRO option;
            Probably the easiest as you can simply quote the ref number and name of one party to the marriage. Hopefully the certificate would show the name and occupation of the father (no gaurantees though). If this info re the father is recorded and is accurate it would help to sway your decision as to whether it is your rellie named on the cert, the name of a witness may also be useful too.

You could apply with a checking point, that means you specify that the cert names the father as (insert name of father), BUT if the father is not named or the name is spelt differently on the cert compared to your application (eg George and Geo) the GRO wouldn't supply the cert, they also retain part of the fee too.
            Sometimes a "less is more" approach works better but the danger is you will end up with at least one wrong certificate without using a checking point.

Local Register Office option;

You have to quote the name of the church or chapel, each marriage venue has a register, so if there are ten venues there will be at least 10 registers, the staff don't have the time or facilities to search each and every register and if a register became full just as your rellie married then that means there would be at least 11 registers to search.

If you can quote the venue then in general local offices will apply some leeway regarding names, they don't tend to dismiss a cert that should say George simply because it actually states Geo for instance. Local offices don't charge if they do not issue a cert.

--

In general the best thing to try and do is find other details that might help eliminate some of the entries before you apply for a cert, if you can narrow down the options then you will be more likely to get the right certificate regardless of where you actually apply. It's quite difficult to say what to look for and where to look but investing a bit of time and effort now could welll save some expense and possible wrong turns later.

A starting point might be to try and spot the marriages in other trees on the internet, that might immediately show that one or another can be discounted, i would also suggest you check all the bits you have about the family group so far, there might be something that stands out somewhere that is important later on.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
            X