One wall down but another is looming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One wall down but another is looming

For quite a while I've been looking for details about my GGrandmother Annie Ellison (nee Keating), and you all gave me help when it was my turn on WDYTYA, however it was only when the 1911 census came out that I was able to establish where she was born and yesterday I finally got the BC (even if the Post Office had done their best best to destroy it ! Claim pending)

Annie was born 01/03/1886 @23 Lordshill St Oldham,
    father Thomas Keating a Cardroom Jobber (in 1908 at Annie's wedding he worked on the Railway)
    mother Catherine Keating (nee O'Keefe)

So that was the wall coming down, however I can see another looming,

I can't find anything on Thomas or Catherine pre or post Annies birth, the only thing which is remotely similar, is a death of a Catherine Keating age 25 in Oldham in Q4 1887 8d/437.

Any help/assistance/advise on the above most welcome and thanks in advance

L

Is Thomas with Annie on any censuses? And presumably Catherine isn't, if you think the 1887 death could be her? If Thomas isn't with Annie then who is she with?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite
      We found an Annie in the Swinton Poor Law school in 1901 but can't say if that is her, it states that she was born in Wigan, and now it's established she was born in Oldham. Apart from that there's sight nor sound of her until she gets married in 1908
      L

Comment

There is a Thomas Keating in 1901 living in Cheshire who's a cardroom hand, and he has a daughter Elizabeth A of about Annie's age; however, his wife is Harriet, and it looks as though they married in 1882, so I guess we can rule him out.

Comment

I was wondering if they might have been married in Ireland in view of her surname and the lack of a marriage for them on FreeBMD.

I've searched the IFHF site for 1883 +/- 4 years, and there are two possibilities:

Church marriage, 1879 Co. Kilkenny
          Civil marriage, 1879 Co. Kilkenny

Both of them give separate hits for Thomas Keating and Catherine O Keeffe, but you have to pay to find out if they married each other.

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

Comment

Mary

That was one of the possibilities I was thinking of, it might also explain why I can't find Thomas or Annie on any census, until she marries, thinking if the Catherine who died was her mother, them maybe Thomas took themselves back to Ireland for her to be brought up there, it would explain the lack of sightings.
            Added to which Keating and O'Keffe are popular names in the Republic.
            L

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid that's quite a strong possibility.

I'm not terribly familiar with Irish research, but I think the Dublin 1911 census is online - not sure about the rest of the country or earlier censuses.

Comment

Working...
              X