How to get FTM 2009 to scan directly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get FTM 2009 to scan directly

When my wife had older versions of FTM she could get it to operate her scanner & import photos etc straight into the program. With 2009 there does not seem to be anyway to do that and it is not mentioned in any of the help topics

Is there a way to get FTM 2009 to talk to the scanner, as having to scan seperatly, then import into 2009 is something my wife is not very good with.

Hello John

I'm not a 2009 user but i suspect the method used on the older version ws via the menu when in scrapbook mode and selected by clicking the circled options as seen in the screenshot from my 2005 version

From my limited knowledge of 2009 i know there are some features from earlier versions that have been removed, perhaps the "direct" scan is one of them but without having the programme in front of me i can't be specific.

Does 2009 seem to offer a menu and options that are displayed in the screenshot above at all? The method may differ but the options are what you want to be looking for.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 04-04-09, 16:16.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I just had a look at the FTM help forum, it doesn't seem anyone has asked the question specifically about 2009 as yet so any queries relating to scanning documents are primarily for 2005 and 2006. One drawback to the latest version is that the number of folks with experience of the programme is always less than the earlier versions and sometimes the question hasn't been posed yet.

You might find it useful to add the question to the FTM forum Using Family Tree Maker Forum Resident expert Russ Worthington will be able to say if the option is available and offer some guidance about how it can be done.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There is nothing in the 2008 version to allow you to do this.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It´s not something I normally use, but I cannot see anything in the 2009 version or in the FTM 2009 handbook.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
            Hello John

I'm not a 2009 user but i suspect the method used on the older version ws via the menu when in scrapbook mode and selected by clicking the circled options as seen in the screenshot from my 2005 version

From my limited knowledge of 2009 i know there are some features from earlier versions that have been removed, perhaps the "direct" scan is one of them but without having the programme in front of me i can't be specific.

Does 2009 seem to offer a menu and options that are displayed in the screenshot above at all? The method may differ but the options are what you want to be looking for.
            Thanks for the answer but the problem is that there is no drop down menu for thing like "Inset anything" so you have no way to do that. The only way to get anything in is to get it from a folder on your PC. A backward step I think.

Comment

Unfortunately John it is not the only backward step.
              No internet back up, no home page, no all in one tree .... and I am sure there are other things as well!
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Unfortunately John it is not the only backward step.
                No internet back up, no home page, no all in one tree .... and I am sure there are other things as well!

I thought there would be a way but obviously not. Well. maybe in FTM 2010

Comment

I add scans to folders on my pc and for important images back them up to disc too. I like to keep the largest highest quality file possible, these files would normally be far larger and better quality than needed for including in FTM (for an image used on a tree chart or in a scrapbook a 2MB 3000x2000 pixel image is a bit "ott") so i simply resize them and drop the resolution before inclusion.

I still only scan them the once and have them available on the pc so they can be used on FTM as well as other projects but i can see why it would suit some people to add a scan directly to FTM.

I'm not saying one method is better or worse than another but it does mean things like backup procedures need to be considered more closely and a proper backup routine is even more vital?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

UPDATE
                    Reply from FTM, not much help but at least it confirmed what we thought.

Dear John,

We appreciate your message.

2009 cannot import pictures directly from a scanner. You will need to scan and save these pictures to your hard drive, then you can import the media.

Answer Title: Adding Media Items in Family Tree Maker 2009
                    Answer Link: Answer

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

Holli
                    Member Solutions
                    Ancestry.com
                    Welcome - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Thanks for the update John, as you say, it confirms the suspicions, as someone who doesn't have 2009 installed it's difficult at times for me to know what is or isn't possible, queries about files and suchlike can be common to the earlier versions and also 2009 but until you added the link i must admit i wasn't aware of the online support site.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                      X