Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Padley

Hi

I have Mary Padley marrying John Burton in Everton, Nottinghamshire 27 August 1775. The problem is there were two Mary Padleys born in Everton c1757. One was baptised 7 Feb 1756 the other 17 Aug 1758. I know both their parents and siblings, and even when the other Mary married. But which was my Mary. I would like to think it was the one baptised on the 17 August as this is my birthday, but is not necessarily the case!!.

Can any one think of any way of establishing which is my Mary?

See who the witnesses were for either wedding, they might be parents or siblings. Maybe look at parish records to see if there were any settlement papers. See if either Mary's parents or siblings left a will with clues. Or trace their burials under their married names and see if their age at death was given.

17 August was my wedding day!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Little Nell,

I think your idea is probably the course of action I will have to take in order to sort this one out. I know the witnesses for the marriage between Mary and John Burton - these were not family members. Mary died relatively young so it might be worth seeing if there is a grave inscription which refers to her husband.

Sandra

Comment

do you know if it was by liscence or banns?

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

A few months ago someone very kindly found me the following information from parish records:

John Burton of the parish of Mattersey single and Mary Padley of Everton single 27 8 1775 in the presence of John Cuckson and John Hant.

Therefore I presume that it was by Banns.

I was hoping that the witnesses would provide the answer, but they were not family names neither were they the married names of either of the Mary's siblings

Sandra
          Last edited by Sherbertrose; 06-04-09, 13:12.

Comment

do you know who the witnesses are?
            are there names that run in one family that pop up in yours?

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

The witnesses are listed above I looked for family names, but nothing unusual just the usual common names I am afraid.

Sandra

Comment

what about wills? for father's, uncles,brother's of both mary's? maybe her or her family ill be mentioned?

Comment

Wills are certainly an option, but I think my next course of action will be to track down the marriage details of the other Mary Padley in the hope that one of the witnesses of this marriage is a family member.

Sandra

Comment

that's a valid point. see if she married by liscence too. might make or break your case.

Comment

You might find the name of one witness appears on a large number of marriages. I looked at some marriages from a rural parish in Norfolk and the same witness appeared at more than 40 marriages, he must have been something to do with the parish (parish clerk?) as the word parish appears by his name in several entries.

Everton isn't far from the town of Bawtry but it's far enough away to be "rural", especially back in the 1700's.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi Glen,

I do know the location of Everton. Years ago we used to pass through it regularly on the way to skeggy (Skegness) as mum and dad used to have a caravan there. As far as I know it is still fairly rural, although I think it is one of those places that is now in Yorkshire as instead of Nottinghamshire. So I am not sure whether the records will be in Doncaster, Nottinghamshire or both!!

Sandra

Comment

It's a weird one to call. Firmly in Notts and has been for many years but it's so close to the boundaries of two other counties. You can discount Lincolnshire even though the Isle of Axholme is west of the river Trent, it's too far away and the remainder of the county lies to the East of the river anyway.

I lived in Gainsborough for years and years, Bawtry to Gainsborough is only 10 miles or so and Everton as you know is on the route but those 10 miles take you through Yorks, Notts and Lincs.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                          X