Interpreting a will reference???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpreting a will reference???

If anyone can tell me how to interpret this document I would much appreciate it.
    1. Are the years at the bottom 1816-1920 his life span?? Good on him if it is
    2. If this document is dated 1920 why does it reference 1937/38?

Cheers, Nigel

Devon Record Office 4573M-0/E/16 1920

Contents:
    Assent to Devise
    1. John Field French of Torquay, butcher Richard French of Marldon, farmer Oliver James French of Kingskerswell, butcher executors of Richard French of Kingskerswell
    2. Richard French of Marldon, farmer
    Premises: Bovey's Tenement, pound house, stable, outbuildings, orchard and fields called Armscrott, Yarner, Pillards and Bottom Park, Moiety of Whilborough Common.
    Date: 8 September 1920
    With schedule of lands
    Endorsed: memorandum of conveyances, 1937-1938

Devon Record Office 4573M-0/E/17 n.d

Contents:
    Schedule of deeds, 1816-1920, re property of Richard French

No, it usually refers to the timespan covered by the documents, in this case, land deeds, which were often owned by more than one generation of the same family.

These can be more informative than a Will, in some cases and that's saying something! I was able to follow a family for at least five centuries because of land deeds and transactions.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      No, it usually refers to the timespan covered by the documents, in this case, land deeds, which were often owned by more than one generation of the same family.

These can be more informative than a Will, in some cases and that's saying something! I was able to follow a family for at least five centuries because of land deeds and transactions.

OC
      Many thanks OCH. Yes it is interesting in that it gives specific land details to hunt upon. Sadly the surname 'French' leads often to an interpretation of the french word 'Moiety' but you can't have everything.

Five centuries!!!! For sure if I manage 3 centuries I'd be very happy

Comment

I also had a land deeds that actually dealt with one of my brick walls, by naming someone as 'nephew' it instantly clarified his wife was who we suspected she was. As she was my direct line grt grt grt grt grandmother, and the family had just then arrived in the parish from elsewhere, and she was never baptised...it instantly got us back a couple more centuries!

Comment

My first prize for land deeds goes to:

My umpty-times great grandmother, Cecily de Mitton, who married Robert Holden in 1212 and brought with her (named) Dower lands, rent "one arrow and one red rose at Feast of St Michaelmass"

I just about dropped dead when I saw the SAME dower land (of Cecily de Mitton, one arrow and one red rose feast of St Michaelmass" mentioned in a Holden Will in 1873!!!!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            I just about dropped dead when I saw .....
            You have been warned. Please wear hard hats and goggles at all times. Genealogy can seriously damage your health.

In this case OCH still continues the task despite being technically and grammatically dead. What dedication ;)

Hey that's a lot more than 5 centuries!!!! Do you still have the arrow?
            Last edited by nigele2; 04-04-09, 22:26.

Comment

nigele2

No, of course I don't still have the arrow - I have to pay my rent you know!

OC

Comment

Working...
              X