Photos wanted: Wedding dress project - Victoria & Albert Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos wanted: Wedding dress project - Victoria & Albert Museum

My daughter Pippa (PLL) phoned this evening to let me know that the Victoria and Albert Museum is asking for photos of wedding dresses through the years.

They are making a collection of photos and I think she said they will use the photos they receive to track the history of wedding dresses and to help as a dating aid.

I can't find the link at the minute, but either I or Pippa will put it up tomorrow. She is working late tonight (V&A close at 10 pm on Fridays) so she isn't on line this evening.

I thought this would be of particular interest to our members, as we often have requests for the year of a photo from the clothes worn. The photos they collect should be extremely interesting.

I'll give extra information later.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Daughter just phoned to give me the link:

Wedding fashion | Victoria and Albert Museum

It looks very interesting - off for a read!

They are adding photos all the time to periods/decades. It will be great when people have sent in their pics! A job to do over the next few weeks.

An exhibition of wedding dresses is being held in 2011.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 03-04-09, 18:41.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks for that, just added my nan, Hilda Ward 1920's section. Really easy to do
      Elaine
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Just had a look, I will sort mine out and post them tomorrow. It will be great to see all the different fashions.

Barbara

Comment

Oooooh - that's fab. Will be great once they get more added

My favourite so far is Ethel Broom in the 1920s section. Thought my taste would be more 40s/50 but there's only a couple from that era so far
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

It would be great if lots of people add their photos. I have a few to add when I get organised next week.

I'm looking forward to the exhibition in 2011.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Me too...recently visited the "Hats" exhibition and love anything like that. ("Tiaras" a few years back was just incredible)

Comment

Hi Elizabeth and colleagues, I manage the website at the V&A (as well as researching my family hitory in Nailsea) and I was very pleased you have picked up on this new site. We would really welcome contributions. Can you recommend any other sites (or even other places on this one) where I could alert people to the fact we need contributions? I am in touch with the FFHS. Where else should I go? Are there active family history blogs I should try? All suggestions very welcome.

Comment

Gail, Welcome to Family Tree Forum, it's great to hear from you!

My daughter alerted me as she works at the V&A.

There must be other websites you can contact for contributions. I'll put my thinking cap on and perhaps other members will come up with suggestions.

Perhaps we could alter the title of this thread and add "Photos wanted" or something similar?
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

I've added the V&A link to a couple of other forums I belong to.

Comment

Gail - Have you seen this section of our Wiki?

Wedding Attire - Family Tree Forum

We have also had a thread run on the general board where members submitted photos of weddings. You could post an appeal on there also (I mean on the general board, not the thread). I think it is in the photo section - see the drop-down menu for forums.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth, if you were able to alter the thread title that would be very good. I see we have had some wondeful contributions from the Burnley area. Since we do not publish the name of the contributor I am unable to thank the person who put them there, but if it was any of you, they are really appreciated. I loved the hand tinted ones. I have a small colection of hand tinted photographs, mainly from the 30's and 40's, several of which are wdddings but all unfortunately anonymous.

Comment

Welcome to the forum - I hope some of our members can help with your project. I'll look through my own photos later today and try to add a couple.

This is the thread on our General forum that Elizabeth was referring to - might be worth your while adding an appeal to it.
                          Elaine

Comment

Gail - the Burnley ones are from a fellow member of one of the forums I posted the link on. Another lady from the area said the site crashed 4 times and she gave up. I added one and had no trouble, (but I'm in Sussex)

Comment

i posted on a few women forums i use

hope some comes of it

but i was thinking
                              about how anyone would feel if their wedding when on there with pic taken by a guest at the wedding ?
                              wye surrey/london/birmingham
                              lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                              hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                              ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                              herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                              armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Where does this stand with copywrite issues?
                                If it's to be, it's up to me.
                                Searching for:
                                English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

There are terms and conditions somewhere on the website re copyright. All the ones I've submitted are 80+ years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie with one n. View Post
                                    Where does this stand with copywrite issues?
                                    You need to read the Terms and Conditions on the V&A website. When you submit your photos you will need to agree to these.
                                    Terms and conditions | Victoria and Albert Museum
                                    Elaine

Comment

I was sorry to hear from Jill that someone had found the site crashed. This is the first technical failure I have heard of and I have reported it to out technical manager.
                                      Thank you for your suggestions and help with spearding the news of the site. We have now had photographs from about 80 weddings which seems good for the first week. Thank you for your interest.

Comment

Names for couples in this project are now getting picked up by Google, just idly googled the name of my great uncle and his wife and up popped the 1933 photo I had submitted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X