X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i save my tree on ancestry to a

c/d....if so how :oand please exsplain in (simple terms lol)brenda xxx

Hi!

Click on the words Family Tree near the top left of the screen.
    Select 'manage tree'
    Next to 'management tool' there's a link called "export tree" - click on that.
    It'll ask you if you want to proceed; click on OK
    When it's finished getting the file ready, you'll see a green box: in the bottom border of the box there's heavily underlined text saying
    'Download xxx family tree in GEDCOM file format" (xxx being whatever you've called your tree)
    Click on that.
    Then decide where you want to put the file and click on OK.

Have you got software to open the gedcom file?

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Belinda
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

belinda thankyou please explain what is a software,im on ancestry,legacy,my computer is xp.and i have my gedcom on here ftf.brenda xxx

Comment

Hi! You'll need a program (software) on your PC to be able to open the GEDCOM file. If the 'legacy' you mentioned is the Legacy Family Tree software then that should do the trick. (I've never seen Legacy, so can't help you with that - sorry!)

Have you managed to download your gedcom?
        Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Bren, surely you've downloaded your tree (in gedcom format) from Ancestry before? I'm sure I remember other threads about it. That's how you managed to upload your gedcom to this site, isn't it?

If you have your tree in your Legacy program, you can save it to CD if you have a CD burner. If not, then you can save it to a flash drive (memory stick).

Comment

no eliane had to do it for me and it didnt do all as it was too big,i have had problems twice trying to upload a gedcom and eliane did it brenda xxx

Comment

Yes, I remember Elaine did the upload to FTF for you, but do you have your tree on your computer, in your Legacy program?

Second question: do you have a CD burner? That's a piece of hardware that looks like an ordinary CD drive (one that pops out when you press a button), but enables you to copy things onto CDs. It'll say something like "CD writer" or "CD burner" on the front. It comes with a program (software) that makes it work.

If you don't have one, then you'll need to copy your tree onto a flash drive (memory stick) - one of those little things like an MP3 player that you plug into the back of your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                no eliane had to do it for me and it didnt do all as it was too big,i have had problems twice trying to upload a gedcom and eliane did it brenda xxx
                It wasn´t too big as far as I remember Bren. The problem we had was that when we downloaded your gedcom from Ancestry and tried to upload the gedcom directly to here it didn´t seem to work. What I did was to download the gedcom to my machine, open it with Family Tree Maker and immediately export a new gedcom file, which then uploaded to FTF without problems.
                I thought the last time we did it you managed to download the file and open it in Legacy, and then export a new gedcom from the Legacy program. Maybe I am confused!

The important question is - where do you keep the copy of your master file - that is, which one do you update when you get new information. Is it the one on Ancestry or the one you keep on your computer in Legacy.
                Elaine

Comment

its on ancestry that i add and put photo,s on.i have saved my last gedcom in my documents but i have added more,i tried to import it to legacy but again some names doubled and some didnt download.im hopeless.i like ancestry as its easy to manage and i can save my photo,s on it.i have a memory stick again i have saved all sorts to it and i dont know how to delete what i dont want,i only wanted my tree on it.brendaxxx

Comment

If you go to My Documents, you should be able to see the memory stick and delete the unwanted stuff. I can't give you the exact instructions, because I don't have XP.

Comment

One thing you have to be aware of Bren, is that if you download a gedcom from Ancestry it will not save your photos. Gedcom file are data files only and will not save images, so make sure you have your photos backed up safely elsewhere.

You say you tried to import it into Legacy and some names doubled and some didn´t download - I hate to say this but if some names doubled then it means they are doubled on your Ancestry tree as well, and if they didn´t download then they are probably missing from your Ancestry tree! :o

If you want to see what is on your memory stick, then put it in your computer and click on the MY COMPUTER icon on your desktop. You will probably find that your memory stick is Drive F or Drive G. Just click on it to open it and you will see the list of files you have stored. If you want to delete one then right click on the filename and select DELETE.
                      Elaine

Comment

thankyou eliane i can always rely on you coming to my help.i will have to look and see what i have trebbled or doubled lol and delete from ancestry and then try again.i havent been myself but i will do it when im feeling better again many thanks all brenda xxx

Comment

When you´ve checked your tree, if you still need help downloading it, you know where I am!
                          Hope you are feeling better soon.
                          Elaine

Comment

many thanks.....thankyou will do brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                            X