What would her forename be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would her forename be?

If someone has the nickname Cissie, what is her proper name likely to be?

Cicely, Cecelia, Priscilla
    Pam

Comment

Clarissa

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

It could possibly be a name in its own right also
        Pam

Comment

I've met a few people who was called Cissie, there name being Sarah....
          Jacky

Comment

There is a Cissie in my tree - her real name was Cecelia.
            Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

Or anything at all as she may just have been nicknamed this because she was the oldest (or youngest or only) sister as one of my mum's cousins, real name Lily, was.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There is a Cece in my tree. (it was pronounced Sessey and shortened to Sess) Cece and her daughter of the same name are about the only ones in existence but it was definately their real name, I remember my gran talking about them.

Anne

Comment

Both the Cissies in my tree have it as a nickname for "sister". One was called Marion and the other Beatrice. :(

Comment

could be a pet name for sister or for Cecily/Cicely and variants
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My Cissy was really Elizabeth
                      merseybabe passed away in March 2016

Comment

I have a great-aunt Cissie who I actually do remember myself; when I started researching my family history I was astonished to find her real name was Inez. No idea where the name came from as this is certainly a welsh family with no spanish or portugese roots I have found yet.
                        She also wasn't the only sister.
                        Hayley

Researching SCARLETT, HOLLAND, STICKLAND/STRICKLAND, QUICK - in Portsmuth area
                        DAVIES, LLEWELLYN, WALSH in Wales

Comment

My OH's aunt Cissie was actually named Sarah Elizabeth.
                          Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

what's the context?

Comment

Another variation - my Auntie Ciss was 'Alice'.

Bee
                              Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                              COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Just to add to the mix - my great aunt was known as Cissie all her life but was christened Ann Elizabeth:

Janben

Comment

My Aunt Cissie was actually Gertrude Ethel.
                                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                    what's the context?
                                    It's for a friend of mine who is having difficulties with her father's tree. There were a whole bunch of children to one woman who had, two, maybe three husbands and there's no certainty that she actually ever married any of them. Working with the 2 surnames she is sure of, she can't find matching births for all of the 11 children. One was Cissie but there's nothing that fits so it's likely she was registered as something more formal. Of the earlier children, 3 are at home on the 1911 census but only 2 can be indentified in the GRO and UKBMD indexes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll pass them on to her.

Comment

do you think it might be easier to post everything your friend has?
                                      im sure someone here will be able to make heads or tails of it.

Comment

I'm afraid I can't as some of the people are still alive. I can put some of it though.

The woman with the 11 children was her great grandmother. She died in 1974 as a Jefford. She was born Elizabeth Ashley on the 1891 census she's at home with her parents RG12; Piece: 2996; Folio 76; Page 13 and in 1901 was single and on the census in West Derby, Liverpool as a domestic servant RG13; Piece: 3490; Folio: 18; Page: 28 . By 1911 she is "married" for 6 years to James Keefe and living in Warrington with 3 children James age 5, Elizabeth Jane age 4 and Andrew age 2.

I haven't been able to find an Ashley/Keefe marriage nor a birth for the son James. The youngest two have birth cert. entries in GRO index and UKBMD. There is also supposed to be a child called Frank who died aged about 2. I've found nothing to fit for him yet. Elizabeth blamed the death on her husband who would not pay for a doctor to come. The memory of the loss upset her all her life. I don't know where in the line of children he fitted. My friend's father thought he was one of the early ones but he's not mentioned on the 1911 census as 1 child deceased.

Mr Keefe died in an accident at work but the date is unknown. Elizabeth later became a "Mrs" Jefford. I can't find a marriage for Jefford/Keefe or Jefford/Ashley on ancestry or UKBMD. The date should be late 1910's to late 1920's. My friend's father thinks that Elizabeth may have had yet another husband/partner but has no idea of the surname.

Comment

Working...
                                        X