Remarriage of divorcee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remarriage of divorcee.

I'm only going to mention one name here as I don't want make half of you run....lol

But....

I have Edward Clark (divorced 1846) as a widower in 1851. Maybe he lied???

He remarries in 1852.

Do you think he would put "widower" on his marriage cert if his ex-wife was actually still alive???

He would have been well known so not sure if he'd lie about that???

I'm wondering if it's worth getting the marriage cert, but am trying to save pennies (or in my case, dollars..lol)

I have a John Horne (widower) whose wife was in Millbank. It's a darn sight easier to say they are dead than simply you are no longer married.

I also have a widower marrying as a bachelor - probably because he would otherwise have to explain that he got the girl into trouble, had to marry her & then she & the child died within weeks.

Of course, Edward Clark isn't the most unusual of names...
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Still chasing Agatha, Libby?

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
        I'm only going to mention one name here as I don't want make half of you run....lol

But....

I have Edward Clark
        Aagghhhh

(divorced 1846) as a widower in 1851. Maybe he lied???

He remarries in 1852.

Do you think he would put "widower" on his marriage cert if his ex-wife was actually still alive???

I'm wondering if it's worth getting the marriage cert, but am trying to save pennies (or in my case, dollars..lol)
        I wouldn't have thought so. But if they were divorced, he wasn't actually a widower, was he?

I would still get it, though, you never know what may turn up.

Where does it say he was a widower? On the census? Maybe he thought it sounded more respectable than "divorced".
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-04-09, 13:14.

Comment

Yes, Mary and you didn't have to mention the dreaded "A' name....lol

the 1851 census has Edward as a widower. I can understand if he put that rather than divorced or unmarried (He had the 6 children...lol)

Just wondered if he was more like to tell the truth on the second marriage cert.

Still doesn't help me find the missing person....I've trawled everywhere (as you all have).

Comment

I don't suppose this is at all relevant, but I came across an Agatha Giacobbi somewhere on Ancestry a while ago. I was getting quite excited until I saw it was a very recent database (late 20th century) in somewhere like Utah.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-04-09, 13:38.

Comment

I vaguely remember you didn't get the birth cert for Agatha and Edward's last child. I would be tempted to get that, to see the address and informant.

Comment

Mary...............that Agatha Giacobbi was the one with the trust fund or something...

I did email two different legal places mentioned in that article and never got replies.

Comment

The Agatha Giacobbi that Merry found stopped claiming on the trust fund in the 1850s if I remember rightly.

The one I found on Ancestry was in the 1980s, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    The Agatha Giacobbi that Merry found stopped claiming on the trust fund in the 1850s if I remember rightly.

The one I found on Ancestry was in the 1980s, I think.
                    She was really old then!! lol

Unusual name though.....I wonder if there's any connection?

I suppose you don't know if Mr Clark's second marriage was in church or not? Were they non-conformist?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

Unusual name though.....I wonder if there's any connection?
                      Yes, that's why I did a double-take.

Comment

The Clarks were C of E. Edward's brother was a C of E clergy fellow.

The Ariels were all non-cons and Agatha was baptised C of E in 1842. Three years after her marriage and after having some of her children.

The marriage of Edward Clark and Emma Eliza Light was in the Parish church Clifton officiated by the Rev W. Light. Emma's father was dead but presume this fellow would have to be a rellie as well.

That Agatha Giacobbi story started with the trust article in the mid/late 1800s and then continued in the law papers, from memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                          The marriage of Edward Clark and Emma Eliza Light was in the Parish church Clifton officiated by the Rev W. Light. Emma's father was dead but presume this fellow would have to be a rellie as well.

How do you know all that without the cert?

Comment

Oh, newspaper??!

Comment

This lot all loved their names in print....lol except Agatha.

I have contacted every person I can find who has trees with Agatha and Edwards children and not one of them knows anything about Agatha's death except that she died...
                              I find that odd as Agatha and Edward's two sons married sisters (the daughters of some bigwig Hugh Rockett).
                              The eldest daughter Agatha Ariel Clark married a fellow Harkness (from a C of E clergy family).

They all have great trees with the exception of missing Agatha.
                              They even kept the Ariel part of the family name all the way down???

Mad....I tell you.

Comment

There's your answer then - a divorcee could not remarry in a C of E church at that time. A widower could.

EDIT - Duh! To elaborate, someone MAY have been telling porkies, either with or without the knowledge of the clergy and family members.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC................I didn't know that. Should have....

I'm going to trawl again, maybe page by page....I'll should be finished by Christmas.

But I will get the youngest child's birth cert. I forgot that...there was a reason...maybe a few with the same name......lucky my head is bolted on to my neck or I'd leave that somewhere....lol

Comment

Maybe the first wife died after the divorce and he put 'widower' on the marriage certificate because that was more "respectable".
                                    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

It's possible, but Libby's been looking for Agatha for years, and nobody's ever managed to find a death or remarriage for her. However, the family were wealthy, so she may have gone abroad.

Comment

Well I've just emailed the London Gazette again. Maybe we'll get an answer.

I won't have to post here if I find her....you'll all hear me scream.

Mary..................I can't find any ref on Ancestry to Agatha Giacobbi.

Comment

Working...
                                        X