Think I was contacted by a lurker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I was contacted by a lurker

I had a contact via Ancestry from someone who said was related thru his wife to my relatives, so we had a couple of e mail contacts and from what he said I didnt think he was related,although he was showing a relative with the same name and birth but different place,but he said well he was going to be adding what he thought was my line to his so he did think it was correct. So I thought well thats sounds ok, and said the best thing I thought was to see my Ancestry Tree, so I sent him access,and I never heard anything, that was at the week end,there is nothing too personal on it, and I have seen he has 3,333, relatives on his Genes Tree, I e amialed him twice asking what he now thought and have not heard anything,.I see on Ancestry he has been logging on, today even, so there is nothing wrong with his computer.I am thinking he is one of these serial collectors of names,I mean we could all be related somehow if we collected all the names couldnt we, oh well, I have now taken him off my access, see what he thinks of that,and because I am fed up with them too I have deleted my Genes tree, so I now feel refreshed, and have learnt a lesson.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Redacted

Comment

don't mean to go OT but can people who are not members of Ancestry actually view peoples family trees if sent an email invitation to do so? or must they actually join in order to view that invite?

just curious because if they can view after email invites, that would explain why they are emailing people requesting to view the tree because of their inability to view the records without a membership.

Comment

As far as I am concerned 3 of my invitees who I know very well 2 related and one not are not paying members and they can see my tree because I sent them an email invite in fact 2 of them didn't even have a logon until I sent an invite.

So I assume if you give an ancestry member access they don't have to be paying a subscription.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-04-09, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
          But what's with that separate messaging system on here, where non members can find you and message you? They're hitting me here as well as Ancestry. fair goes if they were members here and contributing to the Gedcom. But they're not.
          I have just tested the system and a non member is not able to send private or visitor messages.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            I have just tested the system and a non member is not able to send private or visitor messages.
            Well no they wouldn't but they can be a member but not paying a subscription for a package they could send PMs then.

You'd have to be a member to use what is effectively a PM service I'd have thought that was obvious.

But if you invited someone to your tree then they get a log on if they choose to accept your invite to your tree and therefore have a PM service to all.

Comment

Penelope was saying that she is receiving messages on Family Tree Forum that are being sent by non members. I was explaining that this isn´t possible.
              Elaine

Comment

Oh sorry Elaine I'm tired its late.

No thats not possible they'd have to be a member on FTF and Penelope would have their user name.

But surely that's obvious too.

Comment

Redacted
                  Last edited by Penelope; 03-04-09, 23:41.

Comment

Penelope, I'm not sure what messages you mean, but you do realise that any non-member who wants to contact you can easily click on the link in your signature to your website and your contact details are on there?

Sorry, just seen your reply above - no, only members can leave "visitor messages" on this site.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

"don't mean to go OT but can people who are not members of Ancestry actually view peoples family trees if sent an email invitation to do so? or must they actually join in order to view that invite? just curious because if they can view after email invites, that would explain why they are emailing people requesting to view the tree because of their inability to view the records without a membership. "

There are a mixture of public and private trees on Ancestry. Private trees can only be viewed with the tree owner's permission and that includes Ancestry subscribers.

Comment

Originally posted by modem View Post
                        "don't mean to go OT but can people who are not members of Ancestry actually view peoples family trees if sent an email invitation to do so? or must they actually join in order to view that invite? just curious because if they can view after email invites, that would explain why they are emailing people requesting to view the tree because of their inability to view the records without a membership. "

There are a mixture of public and private trees on Ancestry. Private trees can only be viewed with the tree owner's permission and that includes Ancestry subscribers.
                        and I'll repeat.

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                        As far as I am concerned 3 of my invitees who I know very well 2 related and one not are not paying members and they can see my tree because I sent them an email invite in fact 2 of them didn't even have a logon until I sent an invite.

So I assume if you give an ancestry member access they don't have to be paying a subscription.
                        However obviously after receiving the invite they have to go through the process of logging on but they don't have to pay cos they can only see my tree and anything else that's free.

Bearing in mind that's people I've invited not people who asked me.

I assume anyone that approaches me are already members of Ancestry because otherwise they wouldn't know about me and my tree but I don't think they have to have a subscription just a logon.

If I give access to these random people they have access to my tree they don't have access to the census or anything you have to pay for okay. But if you're sensible you don't give access to your tree to random people.

Comment

Working...
                        X