Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry John Beamish Birth Record

I'm stuck again!

I'm trying to find a birth record for Henry John Beamish.

I have his marriage certificate to Mary Anne Elizabeth Brooks of 1894 which gives his age as 37 which, would mean a birth year of 1857? I've ordered a possible death certificate for a Henry John Beamish born 1857 died 1899 Whitechapel, London.

He was as a "mechanic" and a "worker on the docks" from the certificates I do have.

His father was Thomas Beamish.

The marriage certificate states that he was a widower when he married Mary, again I can't find anything on this one either.

There is a possibility that he could have been born in Ireland but I can't be sure.

There's nothing further on Ancestry or the IGI Index that I can find.

Is there anybody out there that can shed some light on this for me?

David

Do you have him with Mary on the 1901 census as this should give his place of birth.

Oops ignore that - I see he may have died before the census!
    Elaine

Comment

Hello again Elaine,

He apparently died in the first quarter of 1899, Mary re-married shortly afterwards in 1900 to a George Craske a "Tunneller".

I'm having great difficulty finding him on any census record.

David

Comment

What was his father's occupation on the marriage certificate?
        Do the witnesses help at all?
        Elaine

Comment

His fathers occupation was also given as "mechanic", the witnesses were "John Bennett" and "Rosiland Fitz?".

Comment

On the other hand it could be "Rosina Fitz?" as there's a John and Rosina Bennett in the area for the 1891 census?

Comment

Not having much luck I am afraid David.
              Perhaps someone else might come up with some new suggestions.
              Elaine

Comment

The marriage cert suggests a birth around 1857

The death index suggests he was born around 1857 (aged 42 at time of death in 1899).

Both records have the first, middle and surname matching exactly so it looks promising that they relate to the same person. The death cert could prove you have found two events relating to one person but it still leaves his birth details open to speculation. The dae and place would still be open to speculation.

It's a case of trawling the sites on a regular basis, census, bmd, baptisms etc and looking at other (perhaps less obvious) places where you might find a clue to the "where and when". Probate records, google, even the origins of the surname are things that might hold a vital clue somewhere.

Anything you find then needs to be looked at more closely. The internet is a useful tool but it is only a tool, not everything is online. I'm at that stage on several of my direct lines, waiting for visits to archives to find records, hunting for instances of a surname in certain areas, seeing where the surname came from or went to as time passed. The small clues are usually the most useful, the obvious ones are often less helpful.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Now have his Death Certificate which if my maths serves me right,gives his year of birth as 1857.

David

Comment

Working...
                  X