Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father born in Workhouse would there be records ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father born in Workhouse would there be records ???

I only this week realised my Father was born in a Workhouse
    due to looking into my Grandfathers death being recorded as 3 Raine Street ,which I have found was The St Georges of the East Workhouse and because of the stigma attached to it was not longer allowed to be put on the certs??
    My Father was born in Bankcroft Lodge Bankcroft Road in 1924 would there be any records I could get ?????

The law changed round about the turn of the 1900s and the Registrar issued instructions that names of Institutions should no longer be entered on certs, just the street address.

Many people were born in the Workhouse simply because it was the only hospital available to them, not because they were homeless or destitute. Those who could pay, paid a small amount.

OC

Comment

i just read a thread about this particular workhouse, ill see if i can find it.

Comment

Val,

if your father was born in the workhouse then there should be records of it. You will have to see which place holds the records for that workhouse and see if the birth/baptism register still exists.

I was quite fortunate with my gt grandmother, as I have actually held the baptism book that she is in from the workhouse.

there should also be one for the deaths as well.

so in answer to your question, yes, you should be able to find some record, esp if they still exist.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

val, it was your thread!! monty gave you an address?

here it is val, unless you know it already!!
          Last edited by kylejustin; 03-04-09, 10:28.

Comment

thanks everyone
            Kyle that was for my grandfather its a different one and the records werent on ancestry .

Comment

There isn't exactly a lot on Ancestry, Val.

Go to LMA's website and see what they show. I'm putting together a display on Poor Law material & have got:
              • Settlement examination - describing personal background
              • Creed register - when they were admitted, religion, more personal details, when they were discharged & where to
              • School records - for the children, showing when they went to school & where they went when they left
              What survives varies from area to area, but if you are lucky, you can strike gold.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

thanks Phoenix will do

Comment

Working...
                X