more davage,s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more davage,s

good morning world ,could someone look up for me possibly ,Elizabeth Davage bn 30-11-1786 bolton le moors lancs ,really interested in parent,s or bro,s & sis,s ,many many thanks chris davage

If you go to "familysearch.org" you will see that her parents were John & Diana Savage.

Comment

more davage,s

hi alan
      thats very interesting ,you see the person i am looking for is john davedg note spelling ,until census started it changed so many times its confusing ,now the interesting bit john davedg,davage,daveg,married dinah hattersley 1788 at ecclesfield yorks ,birth place shown as ringley lancs 1763,he signed his name davedg ,she marked with a cross ,they must have lived at ringley for a while as the first two children William davage 1790 and john davage 1792 are also said to be born ringley the next child joseph 1796 bn ecclesfield 1796 and mary 1803 ecclesfield ,so it would appear ,just to confuse me even more ,a diane davidge died ringley 1788,where am i going next who knows ,i,m sure john 1763 must be somehow related to elizabeth 1786 ???? many many thanks chris Davage down in ampshir(hampshire)

Comment

more davage,s

hi again alan
        just had a thought john and diana must have had elizabeth before they got married ,they then went to ecclesfield as that is where diana was born to get married 1788 i dont cant think of another solution ????

Comment

Perhaps the date is wrong on the baptism? You could check in the parish register to see if it was really 1786.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The baptismal entry on the IGI for Elizabeth is not an extracted record.

It is one of those strange C-batches which has no source and is therefore, a bit suspect.

It states Bolton le Moors, Turton (two different places!) and I have checked baptismal regs for both places on the IGI with no results for Elizabeth (or any other Davedges/Davidges/Savages etc).

How do you know she existed?

OC

Comment

more davage,s

hi kite runner
              i think you are right when you say let the challenge begin ,i am on sfhs as well and salejackie kindly went to manchester archives for me ,could not find john davage,davidge and so on ,but did find a diane davidge note spelling died 1788 ,i have correct info for john and diana(dinah) wedding with witnesses and curate etc,elizabeth however i need to research some more ,it does however seem strange there is no reference to john,s parents that i have seen ,i have all census,s for son william and wife ruth right to myself today ,there are relatives still living sheffield today that i have never met and did not know about until i started my research last year ,this john is really giving me a headache ,anyway thank you for input and would love any more info that you can find as i live in hampshire its difficult ,but on good side i have an archive readers ticket and will gladly look for info at portsmouth archives for anyone up north ,many many thaks chris davage.

Comment

hi olde crone holden,
                i have been given elizabeth davage bn 30-11-1786 at bolton le moors from another thread i have on sfhs and yes i have never relied on c-batches but they are a good start point many many thanks for input ,i need to look at elizabeth some more ,you would think as davage is not an over common name it would be easy to find ,as i go along i am leaning more and more towards john davage coming from the south as there is a massive amount of DAVIDGE,S in somerset and dorset ???? who knows many thanks chris davage

Comment

chris

Normally, a C-batch is a reliable source, (it is a Christening record, and C-batches are extracted).

But this is a rogue batch - there are one or two beginning with C, for some reason. As there is absolutely no information at all about where this record came from, it could be someone's complete flight of fantasy.

I don't know how you would check it out, because the place they say the baptism took place, does not exist!

OC

Comment

hi oc
                    i think turton is meant to be turton bottoms about 25 miles from bolton ,and bolton le moors i think???? must have been part of olde worlde bolton not to sure about that but it has cropped up before ,thanks for help chris davage.

Comment

chris

But Turton and Bolton le Moors are two different places, each with their own churches and more than one church in Bolton le Moors.

She may very well have existed but the information about where she was baptised is "wrong" and that makes the rest of the info suspect - in the batch she appears, there are no other Davidges etc, and I would have expected her sibs to appear if this is a batch compiled from someone's "family history".

Another possibility is that as she was born before marriage, her baptism may have been in her mother's maiden name.

OC

Comment

hi oc
                        good point didnt think of that, i did think about elizabeth being born before they married as they did not get married until 1788,mothers maiden name hattersley.many many thanks chris.

Comment

If you look at that IGI batch, it only has 30 entries and they are all girls supposedly christened between 1785 and 1787 at "Bolton-le-Moors, Turton". Maybe if we can find a baptism entry (or anything!) somewhere else for any of them it will lead to Elizabeth's?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

h good morning kite runner.
                            i am going to try Ecclesfield for christening of Elizabeth as they did get married there and dinah was born there and there is a large amount of hattersley,s ,for some reason they went back to bolton after marriage and there is still the question of diane davidge note spelling who died bolton le moors 1788,possibly john,s sister or maybe mother do not sadly have her age at present.alas there is no end to my turmoil.chris

Comment

more davage,s

hi kite runner and oc how are you today.
                              i have just emailed familysearch .org to inform them of their errors on john and diana ,i do of course realise that they are submission,s by joe public but they should be checked ,i know that they married 1788 at ecclesfield as i have the marriage info ,so it comes back to who is elizabeth and where does she come from ,but i do know they lived at bolton after they got married so who knows where i go from here many many thanks chris.

Comment

Chris, not sure what you mean about "their errors on John and Diana"? There are two IGI entries for their marriage which say 25 Mar 1788 Ecclesfield, which tallies with the info you have, doesn't it? No, they don't check submissions from the public as far as I know and it would be a very difficult task, wouldn't it?
                                If you mean Elizabeth's baptism rather than John and Diana's marriage, we don't know if it is an error because we don't know where the information came from. If you look at all 30 entries in the batch, as I said, they are all girls supposedly christened in 1785-1787 at "Bolton-Le-Moors, Turton", and all have exact dates of baptism and have parents' names given, plus some have abbreviations of names e.g. Eliz., which makes it look very likely that they were taken from some official record, or perhaps a printed transcription of one. I did try looking to see if there were any other entries for some of them last night but didn't get very far.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

There are other similar batches for "Bolton-Le-Moors, Turton" baptisms, or at least one, C010260, covering 1772-1777 and again all girls and with exact dates, abbreviations of names and with parents' names, so maybe we will be able to figure out where the data comes from.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

hi again kite runner.
                                    have been on family search and batch no for elizabeth is said to be c010265 ,but i cant as yet find it ,there is no submitter name ,christening is said to be 30-11-1786 bolton le moors,turton,lancs ,father John Davage,mother Diana Davage????,its strange but wherever i go and put Davage in it comes up with a blank oh well i,ll keep searching,many thanks chris.

Comment

Kate

I suspect it is one of the clandestine batches copied years ago in a records office, and was maybe intended to be a "J" batch - all female baptisms.

It has the ring of truth, i.e. it has a definite date, but without the name of the church (or the source) it cannot be taken as fact. It may be an extremely obscure and short-lived church and the records may now have "gone missing".

OC

Comment

hi oc
                                        i,ve just been to lancs opc and put in john 1763 +_ 2yrs there were1200+ john,s bn 61-65 only three any thing like john davage ,sept 61 john davison,sept 64 john davis,feb 65 john davie ,no good me thinks never mind i will keep plugging away ,all the best to you chris.

Comment

Working...
                                        X