hospital records 1930's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hospital records 1930's

i was wondering if it were possible to get records from a hospital in the 1930's.
    this would be 1932-34.

my gran was born in june 1932,in darlington, durham, and was very sick, almost right away. she remembers being told she was very sick, and wasn't expected to live. so my great grandparents hastily gave her a name and had her baptised.
    but they never told her what the illness was, "it isn't any of your business" were the exact words used when asked.

her siblings are long dead, and she doesn't have anyone else left to ask.
    im not sure which hospital it would be, but i can call her and ask her what it says for place of birth on her birth cert. i saw it on the weekend, but cant remember the address. maybe when i have the address, we can figure out the nearest hospital?

Most likely if you manage to work out what hospital it was, your gran will need to contact them to ask for her records because they would be unlikely to let you or someone else look at them.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hospital records are confidential for 100 years. When I wanted my gt grandfather's details for the workhouse, I had to make out a case for seeing them. I was given permission for that case alone.

If your grandmother signs a letter, she may get permission for information on herself, but I think you would be unlikey to do so.

I hope you manage

Anne

Comment

sounds reasonable. ill have to give her a call now.

she was born at 4 redworth rd, darlington.
        Last edited by kylejustin; 03-04-09, 09:10.

Comment

right, so i googled the address on google maps, and thought she lived literally next door to where her father was born at some point. so i looked for directions from redworth rd to peel st, and right in the middle of those addresses, was the darlington memorial hospital, only 5 mins away.

it opened in 1933, but we're not exactly sure when gran was sick, so it's a possible.
          im having trouble finding hospitals in darlington in the 1930's. most of the current ones are younger than i am.
          Last edited by kylejustin; 03-04-09, 10:07.

Comment

Hospital records are confidential for 100 years.
            Not sure how this works, because I was given the asylum file for my great-aunt with no questions asked, and she was there until her death in about 1930.

You can search for hospitals here, and it tells you where their records are kept:

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records Database | Welcome

Comment

As your Gran is still alive, can she not simply ask her GP what is in her medical notes?

Even though this was before the advent of the NHS, a serious childhood illness would be surely noted on her records? Quite often notes were just transferred when the NHS started, as people often used the Doctor they had used before.

OC

Comment

If she lives in Australia then her medical notes may not have been transferred over?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

this was never in her medical notes. whatever this condition was, it was serious.
                  her heart is in the middle of her chest, not slightly to the left.

whatever illness it was, it must have been terrible. they picked up on the heart when she emmigrated, but they asked her about it, and she said all she knew, that she was sick as a baby and that was all.

Comment

Durh! Sorry, didn't take in the geographical location!

Going back to bed for a while...

OC

Comment

i found an email on a site for the hospital, but it keeps bouncing.
                      am i just going to have write to them?

Comment

The records won't be at the hospital, they'll probably be with the record office. Have a look for the hospital in the link I gave you upthread.

Comment

i did look mary. some of them were adminstrative papers and most had to do with the grand opening or the construction. there were even nurses notes, but not for the era i wanted. most of the stuff that could've worked were from 1954 on.

Comment

Working...
                          X