Help needed please with reading cause of death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please with reading cause of death

It is either Myelitis, or Myetitis...... not sure which, and the next two words before "Certified" are very hard to work out.

Seeing it close up on here now, it is almost definitely Myelitis........just looking it up. It seems to be something that attacks the spinal cord, but not necessarily Polio?? Does anyone know? The second two words may just give a better idea
    Last edited by sally; 02-04-09, 19:58.
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Myelitis is inflamation of the spinal cord. The next bit says something years, but I can't read the first word.

Comment

Myelitis
      ?? some years
      Elaine

Comment

is it "some years" ?

Comment

seven years
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ah, thank you Merry and Elaine.......yes I can see "years" now, although the little lump before it was confusing me. Perhaps it is "some", but reading up about Myelitis it would seem unlikely that he could have had it for some years. Will have to research more
            Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Thank you Kite - maybe it was Polio then, because other forms of the disease seem to have been short lived in that the patient either recovered or died fairly quickly

Comment

Myelitis is inflamation of spinal cord, can't make out other word/s either, got this from Archaic medical terms website.

Comment

Thank you oh exiled one.........yes, it seems to cover a multitude of sins. This chap was a Coachman, so perhaps all that jolting around coupled with holding a team of horses was instrumental

Comment

I have been studying the rest of the certificate.....I don't think that the word is seven, but the first letter is definitely s and the third is m as it matches another m on the cert.

Therefore it could be "some" as Merry suggested, and one letter at the end has been sort of scribbled out.

Comment

The lower-case e is quite like a much earlier version of the letter - see C17th documents, for instance. It looks a bit like a Greek theta.

I'd thought the word was probably "some".

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Christine, I agree.

Comment

Yes, it could well be "some". I haven't seen "some years" on a death cert before; they're usually more precise, which is why I thought "seven" but I think you're right.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

I'm sure the words "years certified" are enclosed in brackets, which would make "some" rather silly, although I cannot make it into anything else...

OC

Comment

I think those are just curly tails on the letters, though of course it would be easier to tell if we could see the rest of the certificate to compare them with. Do the letters on the rest of the cert have curly bits on them, Sally?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

My brother suffered from a disease called Osteomylitis (?).....could that be it.

Comment

Had to turn off last night, but now back and Merry - now you come to mention it, they do appear to be brackets but it would make no sense whatsoever would it.
                                  Kite - I tried to post the whole cert but it came out too small to read so I gave up, but yes, some of the letters are flourished whilst others are not, and on comparing the "y" under age, it matches the weird y under cause of death....so they are not brackets, just flourishes.

The mystery of "some years" continues.

Thank you Flashieboy - no, I think that this is a different disease. I am still wondering if it was polio, but then it would have been poliomyelitis??!

Comment

Working...
                                  X