Canadian Passenger Lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Passenger Lists

See from a previous thread that these lists are available on Ancestry, unfortunately chose GR!
    I am looking for Albert Richards who went to Canada with his wife Mary Walton or Wharton. Have a photo of them on the ship and one of him in Alberta but that is all I have to go on!
    If somebody could have a look for me would be very grateful. His great niece is still going strong at 97 and a great source of info and very interested in anything I find.
    Many thanks
    Di

What would have been their years of birth.

Comment

Di, have you already had a 14-day free trial of ancestry.com? They usually hve one on offer, but make sure to cancel in plenty of time. Also you can buy credits on there if you just want to look at a few things but have already had a free trial before.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

He was born in 1874 and married here in Gosport in 1897, so must have gone some time after that.
        Di

Comment

Am still persuing Albert Thomas Richards born in Alverstoke Gosport 1873. I think the information anout his wife was incorrect as I can see him in the 1901 Canadian census at Tail Creek Alberta and he is single. I know he had a grant of land at Red Deer Alberta and that he had three children by 1921 - Winnie, Maudie and Jim.
          When I try to look him up on the Emigration lists am advised I need Worldwide Ancestry membership, please could somebody have a look for me!
          Di

Comment

Hello Di - I don't subscribe to Ancestry, but
            might be something in these - Alberta: Death Records
            and How to Access Library and Archives Canada Records - Canadian Genealogy Centre - Library and Archives Canada - although I think this must be where you saw the land information -
            Culture and Community Spirit - Home Page
            AHDP - Newspaper Collection Home
            Alberta Family Histories Society: genealogy and family history

Comment

This caught my eye as you said Albert had land at Red Deer, Alberta. Not sure if it is helpful or not as the names of the children are different but here goes!

1916 Canada Census of Manitoba. Saskatchewan and Alberta
              Albert Richards 41 born England, Farmer, year of immigration 1911
              Pollie 38, wife, born in England, year of immigration 1913
              Gladys 17 born England
              Arthur 15 born England
              Wilfred 9 born England
              All the children came over in 1913 with Pollie.
              All live at 12 Red Deer, Alberta

Haven't been able to find the family in 1911 census but I am pretty sure Pollie is a nickname so makes it harder plus I have run out of credits to look it up properly!! Albert may be her second husband so she may be under another name of course.

There is an Albert on the passenger lists for 1907 but he is a stone cutter and he has a wife Selina so don't think this is right. There is an Albert travelling in 1911 but he is on his own and there is no info about him except he was born in 1874.

Sorry I can't find anything that fits exactly!

PS In the 1916 census they are Baptists in case thats useful.
              Last edited by Frazzled; 28-10-09, 08:39. Reason: Adding PS

Comment

I've got f-i-l coming back from Canada in 1936 but can't find him going!!:conf:

So does Ancestry just have incoming?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I can only access UK incoming passenger lists on the Premium sub but I think there are other records but thats on the Worldwide sub.

Comment

HI DiD

Does the surname Donnelly fit in to the richards tree somewhere?

I'm only asking as there is a Single Albert Richards bn circa 1874 Alverstoke living/visting his Uncle William Donnelly who was a PC. Alberts Occ was shown as Farmer and Rancher in Canada

William wife was called Rosina Donnelly and she ws born circa 1852 Alverstoke, Hants

Just incase theres a connection this was in the 1911 Uk census
                    WendyP

Comment

Yes, his mother married twice and a sister from the second marriage married a Donelly. I have contacted Red Deer and their archivists are on to it. Don't think that is him in 1916 Red Deer Census as his children are Winnie, Maudie and Jim and in their 1921 photo they look about 9,7 and 5. Tilly (97) says he married a Mary Wharton or Walton but can't find that. Perhaps he was home for the wedding in 1911! I can see him in Ancestry first on the lists as Albert Thomas Richards as there is another Albert Richards. He later calls himslf A. Thomas Richards.
                      Di
                      Di

Comment

Hi DiD

since you know his name appears on the Wester Land Grants have you seen this website you can actually request a copy of the Homestead file to get a bit of further info - I've not looked to see how much this could though.

Alberta Genealogical Society - Index to Alberta Homestead Records - 1870 to 1930
                        WendyP

Comment

Working...
                        X