Jmk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jmk

Yes it's me back again. Still trying to sort out my great-grandfather (see previous threads). After a run in with the GRO I finally got his marriage certificate. Married Emily Jane Lane at Bethnal Green Oct 1885, he was 20 she 19! Great, his Dad was a boiler maker called Benjamin and her dad a Tobaco pipe maker called Richard but I can't find them anywhere. I seem to be going backwards rather than forwards! Now what can I do to progress?
    Di

Can't find who anywhere, botht he fathers? Have you checked for deaths?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by DiD View Post
      Yes it's me back again. Still trying to sort out my great-grandfather (see previous threads). After a run in with the GRO I finally got his marriage certificate. Married Emily Jane Lane at Bethnal Green Oct 1885, he was 20 she 19! Great, his Dad was a boiler maker called Benjamin and her dad a Tobaco pipe maker called Richard but I can't find them anywhere. I seem to be going backwards rather than forwards! Now what can I do to progress?
      Di
      But you probably WANT to go backwards don't you :D So are we looking for John Morris Kennedy, born about 1865, with father Benjamin a boiler maker, and Emily Jane Lane, born about 1866 with father Richard, tobacco pipe maker, in censuses prior to the 1885 marriage?
      Last edited by JudithM; 02-04-09, 17:38.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Have looked everywhere!

Comment

I guess you must have this

Is this Emily? Thing is dad is a baker from Reigate, not a pipe maker, but I guess he could have changed job?

1881 Emily born Wandsworth - family living St Pancras

Richard Lane 42
          Phoebe Lane 41
          Richard Lane 17
          Emily J. Lane 15
          Arthur Lane 13
          Robert C. Lane 9
          Phoebe L. Lane 8
          Fredenald P. Lane 3
          Walter S. Lane
          Archibald Clamp 19
          Louisa Coad 57

What was the boys job? (Oh dear, that Irish name ............)

Theres this kid living with his bro in Bethnal Green, shopman paper hanger

George Kennedy 17
          John Kennedy 16

Ive jumped in here without reading the previous threads. Have to look for them. Do we know where these people were born?
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-04-09, 17:52.

Comment

Sorry, I only wish I knew! I saw the Richard from Reigate, how would I know if I'm "barking up the wrong tree" so to speak. I don't want to annex a whole new family, have done that once already!
            Di

Comment

See a John Kennedy born 1865 in Bethnal Green
              Di

Comment

Do you know where John and Emily were born?
                Elaine

Comment

No sorry, only wish I did!
                  Di

Comment

Have you found them in a census together after they married?
                    Elaine

Comment

No, apparently there aren't many records left from that area. have my grandfathers birth certificate, he was born in Mile End Old Town in 1887. But would dearly love to find out a bit more about Benjamin!
                      Di

Comment

What is your grandfather´s name - what is the address on the birth certificate?
                        What does it give for John´s occupation?
                        Elaine

Comment

Jmk

MY grandfather was John Benjamin Kennedy, born Sept 1887 Mile End Old Town. His father was John Morris or Maurice Kennedy born 1865 as 20 when he married Emily Jane Lane in Bethnal Green in 1885. His father was called Benjamin. I'm sorry but I can't find a birthplace for John Morris that matches Benjamin as a dad!
                          Di

Comment

I would be useful if we could find John Benjamin Kennedy on the census, hopefully with his parents, so that we can see where they were born.
                            What do you know about John Benjamin - when and where did he marry?
                            Elaine

Comment

Jmk

John Benjamin or John James as he was known after he joined the navy!!! married my grandmother Rosa Shawyer in Emsworth in 1912. He was probably in this area because of the Navy. Jhn Morris was dead by then with his trade still as boiler maker as it was on his wedding cert although on my grandfather's birth cert it was shown as Costermonger!
                              Di

Comment

What a difficult bunch!
                                What is the address on John Benjamin´s birth certificate?
                                Elaine

Comment

16, St John's Place, Mile End, Stepney.
                                  Di

Comment

Originally posted by DiD View Post
                                    16, St John's Place, Mile End, Stepney.
                                    Which of course seems to be missing on the 1891 census! :(
                                    Elaine

Comment

Di - just to let you know I´ve had a look and cannot see anything.

The Emily Jane Lane family that Heather found seems a good fit apart from father's occupation - which by the way remains the same right through to the 1901 census.

I really don´t know what to suggest.
                                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 02-04-09, 21:21.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Jmk

Thanks so much for trying anyway!
                                        Di

Comment

Working...
                                        X