Scottish Deaths and Burials 1538 - 1854

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Deaths and Burials 1538 - 1854

Good news for those with Scottish ancestors - Scotlands People now have deaths and burial Old Parish Records for the period 1538 - 1854.
    Apparently the coverage is quite sparse - off to have a look and see what I can find.:D:D:D
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Originally posted by herky View Post
    Good news for those with Scottish ancestors - Scotlands People now have deaths and burial Old Parish Records for the period 1538 - 1854.
    Apparently the coverage is quite sparse - off to have a look and see what I can find.:D:D:D
    That might tie in quite nicely with some recent additions to the Scotland county pages in the wiki (not pow pages, the county pages with links to regional websites).

I spent a day hunting around for headstone and MI inscription websites and added over a dozen (maybe two dozen) for quite a few counties.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi Glen,
      Aberdeen and North East of ScotlandFamily History Society have quite good coverage of MIs online - indexed by graveyard and name.
      I am not sure if it is members only but I don't think so.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Fingers and toes crossed.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Woo hoo! Thanks, Herky - off to look. Hope there's lots of Edinburgh stuff...
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, they have St Cuthbert's Edinburgh where my lot lived, and there seems to be lots of info on each burial, as I was expecting for that parish. This could get expensive...!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
              Hi Glen,
              Aberdeen and North East of ScotlandFamily History Society have quite good coverage of MIs online - indexed by graveyard and name.
              I am not sure if it is members only but I don't think so.
              The FHS link is posted on all the counties that it relates to and there are four other MI and burial ground sites linked from the Aberdeenshire page, there are probably a few i have missed somewhere, any new sites added to county pages now have the red "new" icon next to them to make them more obvious.

Aberdeenshire - Family Tree Forum

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                Yes, they have St Cuthbert's Edinburgh where my lot lived, and there seems to be lots of info on each burial, as I was expecting for that parish. This could get expensive...!
                Don't know if this is any use

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

An example from the St Cuthberts West Church Mortality Record 1819
                  April: 1 David son of Walter Ferrier a Writer Chaple Street died 28 Ult and was interd on the 1st. foot of his grave lyes 2 feet w of Samuel Gilmour head stone. (Cause of death) Palsey.

If I ever go there I'll know exactly where to look for his grave! If I can find Samuel Gilmour's, that is...
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

Thanks, Glen, I already have that, but hardly any of mine are listed in that. I guess most of mine didn't get "monumental inscriptions". The only one of mine that did is a very sad story, as his gravestone lists him plus nearly all of his many children, those who died young, and then on the back of it is one of the very few who made it to adulthood, with wife and they both died 1 month after the death of their (only) infant son. Perhaps it's just as well the rest of mine don't have inscriptions!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Wonderful. I have found all of my grandmother's remaining great grandparents The women are much easier and cheaper to find though.
                      Asa

Comment

Yes, although so far I haven't been able to resist paying the 5 credits to view the image for each one anyway. And I already had info on when the men died from their wills etc so they've been easy to find so far - but I still have loads more to look for!
                        KiteRunner

Comment

I think if you locate them quickly enough, it's quite reasonable to view the images. I spent 6 quid last night and have the images of three great x 3 grandmothers' burials and a great x 4's as well
                          Asa

Comment

im still looking for a few. i have yet to buy credits, but some look quite likely.

Comment

Working...
                            X