Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Connection, I am stuck

Hello all

I have been stuck on my family Tree now for a while due to fact my Great Great Grandfather was born in Ireland

I live in Australia & know that my GGGF (William Holmes) married here in Sydney in 1878 & his Marriage certificate stated that he was born in Ireland & that his Parents names were Michael Holmes & Honora Foley

On discovering his Death certificate I found he was from Ardmore, Ireland which I hoped was Ardmore, Waterford however RC records from this county show up Nil records according to one of teh search agencies over there

His Death cert stated his Fathers name was Samuel however I tend to believe it was Michael as per his MC due to fact he was alive at that time to verify this

His DC stated he had been in Aus for so many years which indicates he arrived around 1877 (1 year before marriage) but I can't for the life of me find any means of searching when or where he arrived

Would anyone know where I could search for such arrivals into Australia for around this year? I believ he was unasisited due to nothing showing up in the assisted lists & think he was born around 1856-57 according to age when married & death but it is almost impossible to find any information for the Ireland side of things unless I have the County

Does anyone know if there are other towns called Ardmore in Ireland apart from Waterford?

Thanks in advance

John

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
    On discovering his Death certificate I found he was from Ardmore, Ireland which I hoped was Ardmore, Waterford however RC records from this county show up Nil records according to one of teh search agencies over there
    Are you sure he was RC? Is it possible he was Protestant?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the reply KiteRunner

According to his DC he was RC & he married in St Marys Cathedral Sydney according to the rites of the RC church however come to think of it, that could be his Wifes religion perhaps?

my parents were Protestant so it could be quite possible, geez now I better check the Protestant records, it's a never ending battle.

thanks for asking that question, I just assumed that because he was married under RC & his DC stated RC, plus his kids were buried RC as well that he was RC. but yes it is quite possible that he was protestant which would make a bit more sense to me, especially seeing I only have his MC & DC & nothing from ireland to confirm anything yet
      Last edited by JohnH; 02-04-09, 12:33.

Comment

HI

Just out of interest what was William's year of birth?
        WendyP

Comment

Hi WendyP

I don't know exact but it would have to have been 1856 or 1857, he was married in 1878 & his MC stated he was 21 at the time of marriage

his DC states he died in 1945 @ age 85 but his daughter who registered all this also got her mothers age wrong on her certificate as well because 85 in 1945 would have made his DOB 1860 meaning he would have been 18 at date of Marriage & again I tend to go with the date & age info on the MC but am lookinga round 1856-1860 anyway

Comment

Might find something here

Emigration and Immigration - Family Tree Forum

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks Jbee

I have been searching through thes site listed for some time but haven't found anything regarding William that I know of, so hard with limited information, I'm the youngest out of 9 kids & no one ever knew our grandparents on our fathers side as they past away before any of us were born so very little is known about our family history & unfortunately our dad past away over 12 years ago & I didn't start this until last year

gets very confusing & frustrating at times, thanks everyone for your help so far & input.

I posted a message on ancestry back in September last year & not one person replied so seeing several members already replying to my first post on this forum is quite refreshing & appreciated, thank you

Comment

You could try the Irish parish records here - don't know how complete they are, though, and it's quite an expensive site to search.

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

Comment

oooh I don't think I've seen that site before, thanks Mary, very much appreciated, will definately check that out when I get some time tonight at work

Edit: Wow you weren't wrong they are pricey a little expensive to view records when there are so many to look at
                  Last edited by JohnH; 02-04-09, 18:44.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    Hi WendyP

I don't know exact but it would have to have been 1856 or 1857, he was married in 1878 & his MC stated he was 21 at the time of marriage

his DC states he died in 1945 @ age 85 but his daughter who registered all this also got her mothers age wrong on her certificate as well because 85 in 1945 would have made his DOB 1860 meaning he would have been 18 at date of Marriage & again I tend to go with the date & age info on the MC but am lookinga round 1856-1860 anyway
                    Before I'd read the second para, I was about to remark that "21" is a very specific age - and often masks a younger age being disguised to avoid having to seek parental permission...

And have you looked on the LDS pilot site? FamilySearch Record Search They have a number of Irish records there.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is also an Ardmore in Derry. Check out this website:

Ardmore Parish, Diocese Of Derry, Ireland.

Not all the the records are on the Irish Foundation Society Site. None of my Tipperary Records are on this site. None of my OH 's Wexford ancestors are there either.

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 02-04-09, 20:49.

Comment

im still waiting on clare to be nice enough to give me a chance online without spending $400 on a family history that will consist of 3 baptisms and maybe a death.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          Before I'd read the second para, I was about to remark that "21" is a very specific age - and often masks a younger age being disguised to avoid having to seek parental permission...

And have you looked on the LDS pilot site? FamilySearch Record Search They have a number of Irish records there.

Christine
                          Oh wow, Really? geez that's all I need

that would be just my luck that he was only 18 & therefore born in 1860 although I have been checking names & records around that date, thanks for the info though & the website

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                          There is also an Ardmore in Derry. Check out this website:

Ardmore Parish, Diocese Of Derry, Ireland.

Not all the the records are on the Irish Foundation Society Site. None of my Tipperary Records are on this site. None of my OH 's Wexford ancestors are there either.

Janet
                          thanks very much, will definately check out this as well

really appreciate the help all, thank you

I know what you mean kylejustin, some of those sites can be quite pricey, one of the sites someone else posted & rightfully stated they were expensive charges 5 euro to view 1 record

It would be alright if the search gave me a little more information in which case once I was certain I'd happily pay but just showing a list of names & dates free of charge & then insisting on 5 euro to view the actual record when there is no way of identifying that record before you click on it is wrong
                          I wonder how many people get ripped off in that way
                          Last edited by JohnH; 03-04-09, 11:17.

Comment

quite a few. i think every website should give enough info on the record for you ascertain whether or not the person involved is your ancestor, before demanding payment.

you can't even look at parish record indexes on ancestry without them demanding you sign up for a sub.

Comment

true, I have no problem with Ancestry because at least they don't charge per record

one site I looked up came up with 7 - 8 people who could be this one person I am looking for, all from 3-4 different county's in Ireland. If I knew the county I could at least narrow it down but because they want 5 euro to view each record & only show me the name, year & county I would end up paying 35 - 40 euro just for the priv of checking out all 7 - 8 records & knowing my luck it would be the last 1-2 so in AUD I'd be out of pocket nearly $70 - $80 with 6-7 of those views worth nothing to me

oops I'll stop whining now :o

The good thing about those sites is I can at least record the search & check other sources for those & see if I can come up any easier ;)

Comment

John, you can search for births / baptisms on the Irish Family History Foundation site specifying father's name, so if that's the site you're searching on, you should be able to narrow the free search down a bit - let me know if you need help finding how to do that.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks KiteRunenr

yeah having no luck under either Michael or Samuel Holmes as the father, nothing coming up at all

I do get a baptism for a William Henry Holmes in 1962 for Co. Down without putting the fathers name in.

Would a baptism be a cuple years after Birth or normally year of Birth?

My G Grandfathers full names was William Henry Holmes, his MC shows his name as William Homes but our spelling is Holmes, I've tried searching both but only Holmes comes up anyway

I also get

Church Baptism Holmes William 1856 Co. Clare
                                  Church Baptism Holmes William 1858 Co. Longford
                                  Church Baptism Holmes William 1859 Co. Tipperary
                                  Church Baptism Holmes William 1860 Co. Mayo
                                  Church Baptism Holmes William 1861 Co. Cork
                                  Church Baptism Holmes William 1861 Co. Cork
                                  Church Baptism Holmes William 1862 Co. Kilkenny

without using the fathers name

Problem is MC states fathers name was Michael & DC states name as Samuel however neither of these names are known anywhere in my Family History. Michael & Samuel are not common in our line to date on either Mums or Dads side so it gets a little frustrating because that site doesn't list any William Holmes under either of those names

William is correct because my father was william & I am a John so we had William & Mary (G grandparents)

John Joseph & Ethel maud Speechley (grandparents) & then William & Evelyn My parents but again no Samuel's or Michael's in any of their childrens names

I'm stumped

If only it allowed Mothers name in the search because her name was Honora Holmes (Foley)
                                  Last edited by JohnH; 03-04-09, 12:40.

Comment

On checking for Honora Foley around 1830's when she would have been born I see a lot of baptisms for Honora Foley in the Co. Cork area & 1 or 2 in the Co. Limerick

Cork is close to Waterford & Ardmore so perhaps he was born in Cork & lived in Ardmore, hmmmm

We even have Samuel Holmes born in Limerick around 1833 & several Michaels from Killkenny.

Geez if only I had more information

There are still a few counties showing as not online so it's really hard to know at the moment, if only I started this a few years earlier as my brain doesn't seem to click & learn these things as fast anymore
                                    Last edited by JohnH; 03-04-09, 12:51.

Comment

Oh, if you've already tried father's name in the search there's not much I can suggest, sorry.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

I tried searching for a marriage for Honora and Michael, but I drew a blank.

Comment

Working...
                                        X