Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could have happened to James?

Hi,

I am trying to trace what happened to James Archer. He was born in 1824, in the parish of Church Gresley, Derbyshire.

I have the census records for him leading upto 1871, but after that date I can find no record of him. Can any one help?

He was living at Stapenhill on the 1871 census. (RG number: RG10 / Piece: 2901 / Folio: 106 / Page: 22) He was living with his second wife, Mary Ann, his son George Archer, and his step-children, all down as Archer but later use the name of Brown.

I have tried looking on the later census' for them, but have found nothing. I have also tried looking at the G.R.O., and finding patterns, such as a James & Mary Ann dying in the same district, but I have failed to find anything.

I realy need some help 'thinking out of the box' on this one. I know that James' oldest daughter Amy moved to Utah with her husband sometime in the 1870's, but the 1880 US census hold's no answers to James' mystery. Does any one know where I can view passenger lists for that time?

I realy need help solving this one, so any assistance would be most appreciated.

Tippin
    Last edited by Tippin; 02-04-09, 14:28.
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

The passenger lists on findmypast for people leaving the country only start in 1890 so won't be much help here. And I think the Ellis Island site also starts at 1890 though I can never find the info about date ranges on there! So your best bet might be ancestry.com as they have lots of passenger lists etc for various dates.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

You could try a search here: Castle Garden

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi KiteRunner & Scuda. Thanks for the advise. I will have to check Ancestry next time I am down at my local library (I am starting to realy regret signing up for Findmypast!).

Tippin
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Working...
        X