Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briggs/Humphries

hi,
    Once again i seem to have hit a brick wall.I cannot as much as i have tried to find any info on my G/G grandfather and his wife ,this is the final branch on my tree and it is the one i am finding most difficult.
    The gentleman in question is John w briggs b 1872c and his wife Clara agnes Humphries b1874 d1936 ,they married in 1894 in Rotherham and had a son Willie in july 1898 ,on the baptism records they were living at victoria Avenue in clifton rotherham .
    After 1898 i cannot find their whereabouts until 1917 when willies army records appeared ,they were then listed at living at seaside houses in canklow.
    I think the have always stayed around thornhill or canklow area,but
    according to family members they went to america for a while but no one can say for sure when this was ..If any one could help i would be truly grateful,as i am that fed up if this would have been the first branch on my tree i would have certainly have given up by now

Found a couple of Clara/Clarry Briggs on Ellis Island database

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Last edited by JBee; 01-04-09, 21:15.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've found them in 1911:

John 38
      Clara Agnes 38
      Elsie 15
      Willie 12
      Evelyn 4

Living in Doncaster district.

Comment

I think Willie, Elsie and Evelyn are all said to have been born in Yorkshire.

Comment

oh my god yr a star ,all this time i have been looking and you have found them already,what a wonderful person you are .Do you have an address for them .Thanks and this is a very big thanks

Comment

You can buy a copy of the 1911 census page or a transcript of the page which is cheaper, but doesn't contain all the details. You have to buy credits for the 1911 census first though.

Here's the site:

Welcome to the official 1911 Census website

It costs about £2.70 to get the actual page, so make sure you have the right one.

I can't see them in 1901 at the moment :(

Comment

There is a family shown on the Incoming passenger lists on Ancestry

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
              Port of Departure: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
              Arrival Date - 10 Jul 1901
              Port of Arrival - Liverpool, England
              Ports of Voyage - Queenstown
              Ship Name - Westernland

Mother´s name is transcribed as Carriet A Briggs and there are two children - Elsie and Willie.
              Elaine

Comment

All the children are recorded as born in Rotherham on that 1911 census.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  There is a family shown on the Incoming passenger lists on Ancestry

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
                  about Willie Briggs
                  Name: Willie Briggs
                  Port of Departure: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
                  Arrival Date: 10 Jul 1901
                  Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
                  Ports of Voyage: Queenstown
                  Ship Name: Westernland
                  Search Ship Database: View the 'Westernland' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
                  Shipping Line: American Line
                  Official Number: A62

Mother´s name is transcribed as Carriet A Briggs and there is another child Elsie.

Oooh, that's perfect!!

Comment

There is an entry on Findmypast for John, Clara, Elsie, Thomas & William Briggs leaving Liverpool in Sept 1900, destination port Philadephia.

Edit: Although a Thomas Briggs is included on the transcription, he doesn´t appear to be with the family on the image so is probably not related.
                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 01-04-09, 21:36.
                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X